We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Southport Show 2010  (Read 6495 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Southport Show 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
George, any nursery recommendations?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
David, if you are after sources of Onco iris then I always used Mike Smith at Hythe and have not really used any source since he retired although Rob Potterton would be a good start as he usually has a few if you ask him when he is at a show and he is prompt to reply to e mail. I am at the stage now where i keep trying to stop my 'acquire' instincts (not succeeding v well) and just try to grow what I have as well as I can. 

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
George, thanks for that, very useful. Perhaps I didn't phrase my question clearly, I was asking about possible nurseries to visit in the Skye area.  ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
I hope no good nurseries have sprung up since I was last on Skye or the first two weeks in July could lead to marital disharmony as well as empty pockets!

veteran vet

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
I was asking about possible nurseries to visit in the Skye area.  ;D
I did wonder if Skye was what you were interested in. We did not go to any nurseries while away although there are plenty gardens to visit. If you are into Rhododendron and you are in the Arisaig area late May early June the Larachmhor garden at Arisaig is rather special with a magnificent selection of Rhodo s to see hidden in a long sheltered valley, free entry, just wander in. I can recommend the book 'Scotland for Gardeners' by Kenneth Cox if you want to plan a trip. Most of the alpine type nurseries are more to the east and I could not persuade she who must be obeyed to go on a 100 mile detour to visit Jim Sutherland at Inverness...perhaps next time. Skye gardeners/nurseries seem more keen on growing thing to eat, probably because everything has to be transported in from some distance

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
George, many thanks. We were going to have a few days in Plockton and a couple visiting Skye before returning south via Inverness but had to postpone it due to family illness. We may well try again in May next year-would that be a good time to avoid the midges (and most of the other tourists!!).
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
I hope no good nurseries have sprung up since I was last on Skye or the first two weeks in July could lead to marital disharmony as well as empty pockets!

Martin, meaning your pockets are full now?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Martinr

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
Well not entirely empty, but if I got to Ardfearn they certainly would be!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal