We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: brodiaea elegans? ID please  (Read 937 times)

Mark Griffiths

brodiaea elegans? ID please
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
hi, as per the title I grew this from AGS seed, it's a Brodiaea but is it B.elegans? the colour has come out ok, it is violet blue. thanks in advance

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: brodiaea elegans? ID please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
Mark,

I quick look at your "Brodiaea" reveals the following: I see 6 stamens which suggests Triteleia. All Brodiaea have 3 stamen and 3 staminodes. My guess would be something close to Triteleia laxa. Definitely it is not T. bridgesi

I hope that this is some help to you. I am not an expert, so maybe there is someone with more information to help pin point the ID.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »

Mark,

Brodiaea elegans is a native on our farm property and are blooming now. I hope the photograph is useful to you. The 3 staminodes can be seen up against the lower part of the petals. The 3 stamens clasps and surround the stigma, much like modern tomatoes.

Triteleia laxa is native down the down. They finished blooming more than a month ago (so no photograph), but look exactly like your plant.

Brodiaea elegans is also known as Harvest Brodiaea, as they bloom when the winter cereal grains are ready to harvest. By this time the grasses have dried and are a golden brown. Triteleia laxa blooms when the grasses are still green or nearly so.

I do not mean to overload you with information, however there might be other forum members that could appreciate the information.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
thanks Robert, I sort of thought it was too good to be true but an improvement on what I have got before.

It's quite a nice colour, if it is laxa it will be ok outside but I may keep it in the greenhouse.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal