We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC on GQT, R4 FRI 1 JAN 3PM  (Read 1390 times)

vivienr

SRGC on GQT, R4 FRI 1 JAN 3PM
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »
Browsing a gardening magazine at a motorway services this afternoon I discovered that some of our friends in the north have been talking to the media ;D

Gardener's Question Time, BBC Radio 4, 3pm Friday 1 Jan 2010

Eric Robson chairs the popular horticultural forum.

Chris Beardshaw, Bob Flowerdew and Bunny Guinness are guests of the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society in Edinburgh.

They explore the delights of Alpines and meet members of the Scottish Rock Garden Club.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:52:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: SRGC on GQT, R4 FRI 1 JAN 3PM
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »
These things are pre-recorded earlier, so someone will know. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
Indeed..... the programme was recorded last month at the RBG Edinburgh.... and SRGC President Liz Mills was asked along as representative of the largest Gardening club in Scotland. 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
Unlike Maggi and Ian who are old hands at being on radio programmes, I was a total newcomer when the recording was made.  I was very nervous and hope that this won't be too obvious.  I'll be interested to hear the whole programme as I'm sure they do a lot of editing and hope that the Club will benefit from the publicity.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:09:14 AM »
They say that any publicity is good publicity!!  ;D  Not always the case of course, but I would imagine that the interview will be excellent publicity.  I have no problems with public speaking (I have given a few talks to garden groups and our local hort society, plus used to be in a theatre group many moons ago), but I have a feeling that I'd be a tad nervous knowing it was being recorded etc for radio transmission!!  :o :o

Well done to all involved.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

angie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
A few years ago or was it longer ::) we were asked if they could use our garden for part of a Canadian garden programme , do you ever wish that you could go back in time, My husband and I were so nervous and it showed. Our garden followed some of the great gardens in Scotland and ours was to show a  small local garden,  One good thing come out of it I saw how much weight I had put on over the years, so even though I hate how we sound on the DVD, which I hide in a drawer, something good come out of it.

Liz I have heard you talk and you sound so confident so you have nothing to worry about. Congratulations  Liz.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

jomowi

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
What happened? I listened carefully and no mention of alpines despite being mentioned in the on-line synopsis.  The programme was truncated to 30 min with the rest of the time being occupied by a piece on Oranges, not alpines in my book.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
John Cushnie, long associated with Gardeners' Question Time, died yesterday and I believe that it was he who had recorded an interview  with Kaye Griffiths at Harlow Carr, about the alpines there. It was the idea to chat to Liz about the Club on the back of that feature. It seems that in the sad aftermath of John Cushnie's death, the programme makers had arranged a quick re-edit to shorten the programme and substituted that Orange piece.
 I would hope that they might yet re-use the rest of the programme recorded in Edinburgh, including Liz' contribution, at a later date, but who knows.  

I learn that Mr Cushnie, who died suddenly of a heart attack, was only 66 years old - he is survived by his wife and three children.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:53:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal