We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Visiting UK in April  (Read 7928 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Visiting UK in April
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »
Chloe, I've checked and Blackthorn Nursery isn't open in April. Only Jan-Feb-March, and then Sept. For just a few days.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
After a frantically busy week or so, I'm about to set off on a short holiday based around the plant fair in Spain. I'll look forward to catching up on more wonderful photographs when I get back!

Thank you all very much for your ideas and help!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 05:39:07 PM »
There's Tilebarn nursery in Kent (for cyclamen), Hythe Alpines in Thetford in Norfolk and Foxgrove Plants in Newbury, Berkshire. I've not been to any of these so cannot really say what they are like.

I would recommend Hythe Alpines, details in Links page.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

gardenmad

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
Hello Casalima, just logged on to srgc after a long absence - if you are driving from Plymough to London you should definitely visit Hill House Nurseries in Devon they have an enormous number  of very good plants - not all hardy - some are alpine-y many are not but it is a great nursery - Mathew and Ray his father are a delight and there is a very good tea room too.   Hythe alpines in Norfolk is a must, extremely good.   Best wishes for your stay.

Gardenmad

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
Hello Casalima, just logged on to srgc after a long absence - if you are driving from Plymough to London you should definitely visit Hill House Nurseries in Devon they have an enormous number  of very good plants - not all hardy - some are alpine-y many are not but it is a great nursery - Mathew and Ray his father are a delight and there is a very good tea room too.   Hythe alpines in Norfolk is a must, extremely good.   Best wishes for your stay.

Gardenmad

Hello Gardenmad, welcome to the Forum. Knowing Hill House Nursery you may be based in Devon? Have a look at the "Let me introduce myself" thread and tell us a bit about yourself and where you garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »
Back home with a few plants :D No pure alpines as there were'nt many "small" things on sale at the plant fair, apart from some rather expensive Sempervivum and co. I seem to have acquired quite a few flowering trees and shrubs, without quite intending to! A wonderful time was had by all, despite the drizzle and the mud, and I only wish that I had taken a picture of the cider restaurant (sidreria) where we had supper on Saturday night - there must of been 80/90 people in our group (my Spanish plant forum + nursery folks) and we were only on two tables at one end of the restaurant!

Back to the original topic, if I go to the Solihull show on 21st April, is there any nursery/garden of interest in that area that I could visit in the before/after the show?

Chloë

PS such wonderful photographs posted over the last week - thank you all for everything!!

Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 10:56:20 PM »
A wonderful time was had by all, despite the drizzle and the mud

Goodness, sounds very British!! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:58:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »
John Aipassa and his family (from Aalten, Netherlands) is visiting me today. You may remember him from the Old Forum? He is visiting Scotland and staying near Pitlochry for a week.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
Of course I remember John... we have missed him! I hope he is very well and that he and the family enjoy their Scottish break. Give them our best wishes, please, Anthony.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »
Last year Peilton Garden, Moniave was open for the Scottish Garden Scheme, it doesn't appear on their site this year so I was wondering if some kind person has a copy of last years schedule and could provide me with a post code for them please.  TIA Brian
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal