We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oxalis enquiry  (Read 1367 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Oxalis enquiry
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:54 AM »
I would have put this in the Oxalis thread but I can't find it.

Oxalis phloxidiflora is being offered by a local nursery at present. They say they have no reference for it and even Google comes up with nothing useful. Can anyone throw any light please? I wondered from the catalogue description if it could be, or be close to O. polyphylla.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Oxalis enquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »
Not one I am  very familiar with Lesley...  a rather rare South African , I believe.
Found some links for you......

Oxalis phloxidiflora Schltr.

http://plants.jstor.org/specimen/l0018256

http://ph.acnatsci.org/sheets.php?mode=search&view=all&genus=Oxalis&species=phloxidiflora&country=&collnumber=&state=&county=&locality=&ph_number=&barcode=&date_collected=

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/alpines_and_bulbs/24192/2  .........

"This is a small oxalis, with its inflorescence up to 10cm. Colour is sometimes purple but more often than not a soft lilac, with a dull yellow throat. The three fingered leaflets are very narrow; setting off the plant nicely."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
Thanks Maggi, I'd got that far with Google but hoped that someone might have a picture or know where one was. I'll probably give it a miss. The member from was it Taiwan? who grows so many may know it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »
I have that one marked in the catalogue too as a possibility

I notice Olsynium as well.  Lesley you grow that don't you?

Ross

I would have put this in the Oxalis thread but I can't find it.

Oxalis phloxidiflora is being offered by a local nursery at present. They say they have no reference for it and even Google comes up with nothing useful. Can anyone throw any light please? I wondered from the catalogue description if it could be, or be close to O. polyphylla.
Christchurch, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
Hi Ross, yes I do have Ol. douglasii in both purple and white. The white is just budding up now and I could let you have a bit later in the year if you'd like it. It's very beautiful. I lost my big purple but have quite a few seedlings (2nd year) in two forms, from Ron Ratko. They need a couple of years yet I think. I don't think I'll bother with the Oxalis. It looks, in the line drawings pretty close to O. polyphylla which I do have.

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
Hi Ross, yes I do have Ol. douglasii in both purple and white. The white is just budding up now and I could let you have a bit later in the year if you'd like it. It's very beautiful. I lost my big purple but have quite a few seedlings (2nd year) in two forms, from Ron Ratko. They need a couple of years yet I think. I don't think I'll bother with the Oxalis. It looks, in the line drawings pretty close to O. polyphylla which I do have.

Many thanks for the offer.  I will just include both forms in my order. 
Christchurch, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal