We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seeds from Chile  (Read 3501 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Seeds from Chile
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Has anyone ordered seed from http://www.chileflora.com/  I would like to place a small order for some Rhodophiala, Leucocoryn and Conanthera species seeds but before finalising an order it is necessary to register with the site. This I have tried to do and failed abysmally every time. Anyone had more success?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Seeds from Chile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »
No problem whatsoever
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »
I've never bought from them, but they have an eBay store with great feedback. You could try Ursula as well, I've had good results with her seeds and she's quick to mail them.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »
Also take a look at Osmani Baullosa who sells South American seeds on Ebay.  I have had some good seed from him in the past, including conanthera, leucocoryne, rhodophiala, he occasionally has rosulate Violas which I had from him last year. 

http://stores.ebay.com/MAINLY-BULBOUS-GEMS
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:56:37 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. I have now sorted out what I was doing wrong on the Chile Flora Site and have placed an order (must have been having a senior moment because, as Arthur said, it was pretty straight forward)

Call me old fashioned (you will not be the first!! ;D  ) but I refuse to use EBay, too many stories of deals that went wrong and security breached etc.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

derekb

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
 David Ebay is Ok if you use it right just be carefull and use Pay Pal to pay for your goods I use it a lot and the only trouble I had was sorted by Pay pal within a week and that was the nursery at fault.

Derek.
Also anybody know if John Watson is still selling seeds from the Andes.
Sunny Mid Sussex

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
David, Chileflora seeds are excellent, almost 100% germination, good service as well.

cheers

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
David,
I've ordered 1 packet of tropaeolum seeds from chileflora recently, had no problem with registration. My order has been checked by e-mail, I've paid through paypal and I'm now waiting for the seeds to arrive.
Lyon / FRANCE

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
I've never bought from them, but they have an eBay store with great feedback. You could try Ursula as well, I've had good results with her seeds and she's quick to mail them.

The problem is that it's hard to know whether this seed collecting threatens vulnerable populations, due to scale and frequency.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:33 AM »

The problem is that it's hard to know whether this seed collecting threatens vulnerable populations, due to scale and frequency.

Exactly my view. There is no information whatsoever on the collection strategies and propagation. So many species (some very tricky to grow). It takes a lange, knowledgeable team and big investments to establish that. I cannot see how they do it. Just the devil's advocate....
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal