We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS 2017 Azorina vidalii seed - not  (Read 776 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
AGS 2017 Azorina vidalii seed - not
« on: March 21, 2021, 02:53:27 AM »
I have one plant which is now blooming in a pot in my greenhouse. It looks like a Ceanothus.  I have a number of Ceanothus in the garden,  so I guess it is possible that seed from one of my shrubs got in the Azorina pot. 

Did anyone else grow the Azorina seed, and what were your results?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Wim Snoeijer

Re: AGS 2017 Azorina vidalii seed - not
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
Diane,
I have no experience with Azorina but you are quite right about the Ceanothus. Searching it seems your plant is Ceanothus foliosus var. vineatus, especially when you have a look at https://www.calflora.org/app/taxon?crn=1782 and the plant on the 2013 photo looks like yours.
Wim

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:07:24 PM »
Thanks, Wim.

I brought my potted plant in to compare with the photo, and it is not the same.  The leaf venation is very different.

Diane
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »

As it happens we went to the Azores a few years ago. Here is a photo of A. vidalii growing in the Botanic Gardens there.

Crop from the same photo showing leaf detail.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 07:43:32 PM by Tristan_He »

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:47:11 PM »
I will have to try to get some seeds again.  It is certainly a good looking plant.

Wim put me on to CalPhotos, and I kept looking through.  There sure are a lot of Ceanothus species.  I think a botanist could specialize just on that one genus.

After scrutinizing lots more pictures, I think my plant might be C impressus.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal