We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranunculaceae 2020  (Read 5035 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Ranunculaceae 2020
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 08:46:27 AM »
Herman
 you have a remarkable collection.
 you also manage to sow them too? i already had 3 seedlings from seeds, but i killed them ..
Véronique, no much experience with seeds. This year I have sown some Adonissen in April from my own seeds. Now it is waiting if they will germinate.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:41 AM »
In the garden, here are the flowering Months and the order:
Adonis amurensis (January), Adonis amurensis 'Hime Shinano' (February), Adonis multiflora (February), Adonis amurensis 'Fukujukai' (February), Adonis amurensis ‘Plena’ (March), Adonis cyllenea (April), Adonis volgensis (April), Adonis vernalis (April), Adonis brevistyla (May).

Herman, thank you! There seems to be a lot of variation in flowering time even in A.amurensis. Do you think the orange named cultivars are more tender than normal A.amurensis or are they as hardy?

Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 12:54:13 PM »
Herman, thank you! There seems to be a lot of variation in flowering time even in A.amurensis. Do you think the orange named cultivars are more tender than normal A.amurensis or are they as hardy?
Leena, I am not sure about the hardiness. It still stands in pot because it is an expensive plant. In Belgium the winters are very unstable concerning temperature and rainfall. When the buds are still closed they are hardy but a combination of frost and a lot of rain may damage the flower. Now we have a week with temperature below 5°C . After next week it may be above 10°C. There is also the problem of slugs, who love the buds. Some people put a glass dome above the flower for protection others leave them outside in pot and bring them inside when the buds are appearing. At the right moment you need dry sunny weather  and then Adonis is at his best! The flowers in April and May are usally more beautiful because the weather is usually more stable.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:22:25 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal