We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed storage containers  (Read 1122 times)

Geri88

Seed storage containers
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
I am looking at storage solutions for my seeds (not for the seeds that go in the fridge, for the ones that stay in a cool room).
Are the metal tins sold by garden centers any good (my gut feeling is they may not be airtight enough). Or what do you all use? Is there any way to avoid plastic?

Graeme

Re: Seed storage containers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
I tend to use chewing gum containers as they have a good airtight seal - so instead of throwing them away at least they get recycled
Vitamin containers are also good

Also if you have a B&M anywhere near they do some really small plastic boxes with lids - they are about £1 for 10 - great for small quantities of seed
I have seen them in Poundland as well

I also have a couple of sets of Ikea children's cups for soaking seed - these are multi coloured and have lasted years   
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
You can nail the twist-off-cap of a jar in the wished size against the ceiling (or a horizontal bar)  and then keep the seeds in the turned in glass hanging.

Geri88

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
Thank you. I should have said that I already pack the seeds in paper envelopes, but I need a splution to store the seeds in their paper boxes.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal