We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rococo Ranunculus  (Read 2203 times)

fielding

Rococo Ranunculus
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
I recently contacted Maggi to ask about posting on my Ranunculus and she said I should, so here we go.
Well over 20 years ago I attempted some crosses with Ranunculus asiaticus and other species. The resulting hybrids proved to be remarkably hardy winter growing perennials and have experienced -15ºC without harm in UK conditions. Given the Mediterranean origin of the parent Ranunculus asiaticus they are tuberous rooted and go through a summer dormant period. During this time they are more than happy to be totally dry but can remain in the ground if not watered or can be lifted and stored in a cool, dry place. The roots need to be planted just below soil level in autumn in a sunny position. They respond dramatically to feeding and put on masses of growth producing more flowers per stem than typical R. asiaticus. The thicker stems are also more robust meaning staking is not necessary and have proved themselves as excellent weather proof cut flowers. They are also excellent bedding plants associating well with late flowering tulips and other spring bedding flowering in early May. The many side buds continue to flower as the first flowers fall. The flowers develop a two tone effect as they age which is particularly attractive.
We are releasing four cultivars this year, Peach, Pink, Orange and Yellow at the RHS Malvern flower show, 9th to 12th May and also the peach and pink online.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rococo Ranunculus
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Hello John, my Word, these are fine sturdy plants - in most attractive colours. I can see  them being useful in  various garden situations. Thank you for  sharing the photos with us. And good luck with their  official launch!

John Fielding is a professional horticulturist (trained at Royal Botanic Gardens Kew), photographer, garden designer and plant breeder. John is on two Committees of the Royal Horticultural Society, Herbaceous Plants and Photography. He is the joint author of the book, Flowers of Crete .....

Readers may be interested in this online  version of  his presentation to the  Mediterranean Gardening Association of Portugal.....  http://www.mediterraneangardeningportugal.org/jf_wild_flowers.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fielding

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »
Thank you Maggi,
You mention my Portuguese talk online and we have just posted my two part talk I gave for Mediterranean Plants and Gardens at our winter meeting. It is titled "Why can we grow so many Mediterranean plants in the UK" and can be viewed on our website www.medpag.org

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »
I have seen these plants in the flesh (so to speak), and they are stupendous plants, particularly the orange.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

fielding

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Thanks Jon,
Where did you see my Ranunculus? At the National Cut Flower Centre where the picture shows them en-mas. I would also like to point out that they did this trial for us which was excellent, run by Lyndon Mason where they trial and showcase new breeding of British growers.

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
John
I saw and photographed them a long time ago, at Blackthorn, but was sworn to secrecy, so I have never shown the photos to others.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

fielding

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
Here's a picture of the dormant roots. They can get really large when grown well.

635123-0

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:13:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
Here's a picture of the dormant roots. They can get really large when grown well.
My word, chunky little  numbers, are they not?  No wonder they flower so well!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fielding

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
They really do respond to feeding though will cope on a smaller scale if their growth is stunted!
Here's a picture of one in a frost. They grow right through the winter.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal