We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Syneilesis aconitifolia: fertile / infertile seeds  (Read 1603 times)

Garden Prince

Syneilesis aconitifolia: fertile / infertile seeds
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
Every year seeds of Syneilesis aconitifolia are offered by several seed exchanges and some seed sellers. Unfortunately, most of the time the seeds are empty/infertile/duds. Syneilesis belongs to the Asteraceae. This family produces copious amounts of EMPTY seeds when plants are genetically identical (propagated by cuttings or division) and only a few fertile seeds. My guess is that if you have plants of Syneilesis aconitifolia that are genetically different the rate of fertile seeds will be higher (but how much higher I do not know).

The difference between fertile/infertile seeds is not always easy to spot. In the case of Syneilesis aconitifolia: fertile seeds are a little bit more plump than infertile seeds. Attached is a picture where you can see the difference between an empty and a fertile seed.

631839-0

So if you have ever sown seeds of Syneilesis aconitifolia (and also S. palmata) and you did not get germination this is in all probability the reason why. Syneilesis aconitifolia is an easy germinator at warmth (2--3 weeks at 20 degrees C.).  I hope that everybody who sends seeds of Syneilesis to the seed exchanges will check their seeds carefully.

See also:

http://botanicallyinclined.org/syneilesis-aconitifolia-seeds/

and

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/SyneiPalma

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Syneilesis aconitifolia: fertile / infertile seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
So very true.  I've tried to collect seed from a single one form many years, and never find anything good.  I have to say though, that after about 50th seed, I just give up and say to myself "maybe next year".  I kinda thought maybe mine was more infertile than most, but perhaps I should look more persistently. 

I have S. intermedia blooming now too, and let them cross naturally if they want, but didn't get anything this year, either.

Liatris is another likely dud seeder.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal