We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus August 2018  (Read 2478 times)

Michael J Barrett

• Passionate about a lot of things
Galanthus August 2018
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
A few years ago I had the good fortune to buy one or two of several different galanthus varieties from Marcus Harvey at Hillview Rare Plants ( and a couple from Tonkin’s) . I did get ‘S. Arnott ‘ and am so glad I did. Slowly it has increased, mine don’t rapidly multiply like they might for others, but a lot more attention is being directed their way last year and again this season.
No time for regrets that I didn’t get more to start with, but a lesson learned well for another time.
Enjoy the image.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus August 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
One of the great subsets of snowdrop collecting are those drops that appear on the 'Where are they now lists'. These are snowdrops that are believed lost or in very few locations.

One such is Orwell Greentip, a nivalis from Revd. Richard Blakeway-Phillips garden. Delighted to have received a bulb from a friend, plus two more specials.

Seraph was another believed to be in this group, at one time, and I am lucky to have a number of these rare/lost varieties. Growing them on and increasing their numbers is highly satisfying.

Michael J Barrett

• Passionate about a lot of things
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »
Yes Blonde Ingrid, better to ‘have and to hold’ than say ‘ lost but not forgotten ‘. Certainly it is always interesting reading old catalogues and seeing descriptions and names continue.
It’s nice you are a custodian of some extra special ones. The world needs more people like you ....

sokol

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:56:59 PM »
This year I have lost many bulbs because of the narcissus fly. I hope I can recover the following ones, they larvae is removed from all bulbs. How should I treat them, normal potting or anything else.

621783-0
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
This year I have lost many bulbs because of the narcissus fly. I hope I can recover the following ones, they larvae is removed from all bulbs. How should I treat them, normal potting or anything else.

(Attachment Link)
Hallo Stefan, I think, if You have removed all larvaes, You can plant this damaged bulbs in sandy soil, suitable for snowdrops and they will produce a lot of small new bulbs. I had the same problem with two bulbs of "Beluga" and they produced some new bulbs, see foto with the "childs" of two bulb.
Since two years I have sprayed my galanthus after flowering with a solution of "Fastac Forst", 2 %, usually used against "Borkenkäfer" and "Splintkäfer" in trees and have no narcissus fly damage.
Foto 1: harvest of snowdrop "Beluga" from two narcissus fly-damaged bulbs
Foto 2: undamaged bulb of "Beluga"
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

sokol

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
Thanks Harald-Alex, I will try that, hoping to get also so many small bulbs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:09:31 AM by sokol »
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
Thanks Harald-Alex, I will try that, hoping to get also so many so many small bulbs.
Thank You, Stefan, here is the invitation for our new Springflower-Exposition in March 2019 in Torgau, a foto of our first Flyer and a foto of big snowdrop-bulbs of one of my Galanthus elwesii - seedlings.
Greetings Harald

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
A wonderful parcel from Anne Wright, arrived this morning!
Stuffed full of goodies :)

Very thoughtful of her to pack them in the shredded remains of my AT's  target list! :) :)

Potting up time again :) :)

Thanks Anne!

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »
This year we have a unusual hot and dry summer in Germany. The snowdrop-places are wellprotected by summerflora (Foto 1)
The harvest of snowdrop bulbs was good, here some great bulbs from a seedling of G. elwesii (Foto 2). I used the soilactivator "Leonardit" from the "Roesl-Compost-Company".

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
I was surprised to see this little galanthus in flower without any green markings!
It is next to the Galanthus rizehensis so I presume it's the same.
Jon B (mini-bulb lover) was visiting so I showed it to him. He suggested that the earth mites could have scraped off the green! ::)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mariette

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »
Very nice, fermi! It would be a great addition to the known selections if it actually proves to be G. rizehensis!

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
Very nice, fermi! It would be a great addition to the known selections if it actually proves to be G. rizehensis!
Thanks, Mariette,
I have no idea what else it could be but I've marked the spot and hope it recurs next winter
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal