We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newbie questions: best self seeders  (Read 3983 times)

shaun342

Newbie questions: best self seeders
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Hi all!

Have just introduced myself on the members' board. I'm Shaun, based in the East Midlands, UK, and have a growing passion for crocus, cyclamen, galanthus etc.

I own Janis Ruksans 'Crocuses: A complete Guide...' - but due to recently becoming a father I haven't had much of a chance to have a good read yet!

I do apologise if the info i'll be asking is readily available in the book or on this site (am blown away - such a brilliant community/resource).

I work as a groundsman and have a small park to 'play' with as such - there's not much apart from grass and trees. I've just planted several thousand daffs, aconites and snowdrops, but what I'm most looking forward to is naturalising crocus everywhere... The only issue I have is the squirrels/mice and other pests who have a taste for them. I believe Tommies tend to be left alone, so I've planted around 1500. 'Barrs...' and 'Whitewell Purple' were the ones I've found readily available  (I've read that 'Ruby Giant' are sterile?) so I'm hoping these are likely to multiply and seed themselves readily? Are there any other varieties known to offer rodent resistance?

I've also bought some Tommie seed from chilterns - I've never tried from seed before so I look forward to experimenting using the info on this forum.

Roma's (Hi!) amazing picture in the Crocus November thread of the Pulchellus seeded everywhere in the lawn is exactly the effect I'm looking for. I've just got a late order in to JParker's wholesale for some Speciosus as I believe these will seed well once established? Although from past experience they'll need protecting from pests won't they? Are there any Autumn crocus that offer any rodent resistance at all? And also is there a supplier that anyone can recommend for Pulchellus?

Sorry for rambling and throwing so many questions out there...  :o

Basically, what I'm looking for is advice on crocus (autumn and spring) that will seed themselves everywhere (to epic nuisance proportion!) and will hopefully not get eaten in the process  ;D

Thanks in advance - look forward to hearing from y'all  :)

Darren

Re: Newbie questions: best self seeders
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »
Welcome Shaun,

I work in Lancaster and every feb/march I keep intending to take a picture of the amazing drifts of tommasinianus forms in a roadside park right next to the A6 in the city centre. This park is grey squirrel infested but they seem to leave these crocus alone. There are patches that look like the named cultivars but they have obviously crossed so there are lots of intermediates too. This suggests you are on the right track.

Incidentally - this planting also has Chionodoxa (I don't know what species) which flowers just after the crocus and extends the display. Variability of these suggests they are also self-seeding so might be a useful companion to your crocus too.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi all!

Have just introduced myself on the members' board. I'm Shaun, based in the East Midlands, UK, and have a growing passion for crocus, cyclamen, galanthus etc.

I own Janis Ruksans 'Crocuses: A complete Guide...' - but due to recently becoming a father I haven't had much of a chance to have a good read yet!

Thanks in advance - look forward to hearing from y'all  :)

With me best are heufelianus, abantensis, then goes angustifolius, chrysanthus, occasionally malyi and some others. I didn't observe tommasinianus here, but I heve very few of them outside. Actually all depends from conditions in your garden.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
Crocus tommasinianus  seems to be a very prolific seeder for  many people- so you must try that.  They do not make a nuisance of themselves  in our Aberdeen garden but plenty folk moan about them seeding everywhere. They come in quite a range of colours and are very pretty- my idea of a good "weed".
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
C. tommasinianus is a good do,er in my garden. It stays the natural colour.

Roma

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Pity you didn't post earlier, Shaun.  I had lots of surplus Crocus pulchellus seed but scattered it in rough grass where the garden joins the wood.   I will keep you in mind next year and can dig up some corms as well as collecting seed.  I try to collect as much of the seed as I can to reduce the numbers coming up in the flower beds but dead heading crocuses is too difficult to be effective.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »
In my previous garden in Suffolk I came to view crocus purely as food for rodents as most of those planted were never seen again but  Crocus laevigatus 'Fontenayi' not just survived but thrived. Image is of a clump right by a rodent hole...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

shaun342

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it.

With regards to suggestions of other varieties - can anybody recommend suppliers at all? I find availability and pricing so random when looking through catalogues and online retailers.

Roma that would be very kind of you, thank you so much. Do you know how resistant to rodents Pulchellus is? I'm guessing from your pics and the fact that you live near woodland you don't have any problems!

Speciosus 'Conqueror' is what i'll be trying to establish as well. I know i'll have to protect the corms but is this a good seeder?

Thanks again!

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »
Shaun
Crocus tommasinianus & kotschyanus started in my garden many years ago with just a couple of bulbs of each.
They now cover the garden in spring & autumn as you can see from the attached photos.
The bulbs grow through most plants but never cause any problems.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
On the day when we've learned about the loss of our "Hillview Croconut"  Marcus Harvey,  those photos of such happy crocus  are just the tonic I need, Mike, thanks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
A fitting tribute Mike.  Your second last is a particularly lovely tommie.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
How lovely pictures! :)
I have C.tommasianus  and it grows well and multiplies from bulbs, but I haven't found it seeding at all. Perhaps my clones are sterile. I'm glad of this conversation and so when I saw seeds of C.tommasianus in the seed ex I had to add them to my list right away. :)
Leena from south of Finland

shaun342

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »
Amazing pictures Mike!

I'm tempted to collect (and protect) as many varieties as possible now, just to see what will succeed over the coming years in the park.

I'll be sure to share pictures of the progress.

I'd be interested to know if there's a list of sterile varieties anywhere?

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
I find it quite amazing how variable the crocus tommasinianus have proved to be in my garden & all from an original couple of bulbs which came from Roy Elliott 30 years ago.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

shaun342

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
Hi all

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread out of curiosity if anyone could add to the list of self seeders or has any further advice on naturalising?

I'm pleased that a lot of the crocus I planted from last year's seed exchange has started to emerge but am curious if they need any protection or not in their early years? I'm tempted to just plant them out and let them take their chances as they would in the wild.

Thanks again folks for the knowledge/input on this forum  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal