We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia problem  (Read 835 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Paeonia problem
« on: October 01, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »
Friend dug Paeonia 'Coral Charm' today and found this hideous mess.  Wonder if it's Cladosporium paeoniae or Phytophthora cactorum and a possible solution?  Friend is terribly freewheeling with the sprinkler.  The leaves were very clean back in early July though I am going by my photo and didn't look at the undersides.

john
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:09:41 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Paeonia problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
Cladosporium paeoniae tends to occur more on leaves/stem I think. My guess would be Phytophthora cactorum which is generally fatal to the plant and usual recommendation is that infected plants should be dug up and destroyed, and the soil replaced before replanting. Personally I would cut away any black/soft parts of the roots, soak the rest in a general fungicide then pot any healthy pieces up in a very gritty compost. 'Coral Charm' in my old garden re-grew from fragments of root left behind when I moved a plant so you may find all is not lost. (But keep any resulting plants away from your sprinkler-wielding friend; peonies are more likely to get blights etc if the foliage is wet)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Paeonia problem
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Thanks so much Gail. My friend has binned the Paeonia and tells me that particular bed does not fall within the range of the sprinkler.  July was very dry and then moderate rains in August so a bit puzzling why such extensive damage.  I'll pass your information along with thanks.

john
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:29:05 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal