We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA 2017  (Read 15937 times)

David Sellars

• Mountain Flora
Re: FRITILLARIA 2017
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2017, 12:34:16 AM »
I had mouse problems in the greenhouse for the first time last winter when we had a ton of snow on the ground.  I will be putting in traps this winter but have already installed a couple of plug-in ultrasonic devices. Like a dog whistle they make a sound that only mice can hear! And apparently they don't like it and stay away.  Hope they work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_7/261-4215580-7648148?url=search-alias%3Doutdoor&field-keywords=rodent+repeller+ultrasonic&sprefix=rodent+%2Caps%2C273&crid=1T64X7BTOOI0T
David Sellars
On the wet Pacific Coast of British Columbia, Canada

Feature your favourite hikes at:
www.mountainflora.ca
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MountainFlora/videos

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:18 AM »
I had mouse problems in the greenhouse for the first time last winter when we had a ton of snow on the ground.  I will be putting in traps this winter but have already installed a couple of plug-in ultrasonic devices. Like a dog whistle they make a sound that only mice can hear! And apparently they don't like it and stay away.  Hope they work.

In my last house, which had a thatched roof, we regularly got mice and rats in the attic and I bought one of those devices because they sound a nice environmentally friendly way of dealing with the problem. When we subsequently had to call in the pest control officer, he laughed when he saw the device - he has seen many homes where they have been tried unsuccessfully - one of his clients had bought about a dozen of the things... The scientific evidence base for their effectiveness is very poor;
https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/AZ1639-2015.pdf
Sometimes they seem to work for a while but mice come and go anyway and installing one can coincide with a time when they go...
(Sorry to be negative!)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
While I was away in Argentina for the last few weeks, a squirrel dug up many Fritillaria meleagris bulbs and Crocus tommasinianus.  All that's left are growing tips!  Time to set traps for the eastern gray squirrel, an invader from the other side of the country.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

colin e

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
Further seed and root update:
The last update I did was 19/11/2017 and things have moved on The number of pots with roots out of the bottom is now 193. This does now include some snow melt ones like Fritillaria poluninii, at least the ones in small pots. Things above the gravel are all ones I would expect, mainly Fritillaria ariana, gibbosa and karelinii. Some of the shoots are pictured below. I have one I would not except to see - Fritillaria meleagroides, literally just showing but I think it is just going to sit there till February as it has not grown any more since 23/11/2017.
The sown seeds in the fridge are continuing to germinate and emerge. I now have 19 pots that have germinated and emerged above the gravel and are now in the greenhouse. I did miss one pot of Fritillaria affinis seedlings that were well above the gravel in the fridge; the picture below is what they look like 6 days later. There are a further 19 pots where the seeds have a root (germinated) but have not emerged above the gravel. I have also put these in the greenhouse so that I now have all the non-germinated pots in one fridge.
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
From Fritillaria Icones :

2017 REVIEW: New Fritillaria Icones added this year  http://www.fritillariaicones.com/icones/icones_a.html

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:04:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal