We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 7158 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: November in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
Nice ochroleucus there Gabriela.  A local tried to find it here to no avail but got some at Botanus and now the experts say it's cartwrightianus 'Alba'.

Driving home this morning I passed a bed of Begonias in full flower, I was so dazed by the sight it took a minute to realize they weren't trash. Next block a bed of blue campanulas. Bizarre, even the frost-sensitive succulents and Eucalyptus are untouched.

Tuesday night the airport - 40km inland - got 20cm of wet snow and many still without power, we were lucky to get rain instead. Now another storm haas struck and it's blowing a gale out there, raining horizontal stair rods.

john
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:10:26 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 06:42:03 PM »
aren't all stair rods horizontal ???      ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
aren't all stair rods horizontal ???      ;D

Not necessarily.  Do realize Escher's relatives lived not too far from Halifax.......I kid you not.

His son in Mahone Bay, NS gave this to the Nat. Gallery in Ottawa.

M.C. Escher – Relativity

David - you lay the carpet runners and I'll take care of the stair rods.

john
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:13:38 PM by johnw »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:19 PM »
Robert -
It wasn't too bad and in any case there is also Scabiosa caucasica still in flower, it has become a sort of curiosity at this point....

Trond - you should try at least C. speciosus, it's very easy-going  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:30 PM »
Nice ochroleucus there Gabriela.  A local tried to find it here to no avail but got some at Botanus and now the experts say it's cartwrightianus 'Alba'.

Driving home this morning I passed a bed of Begonias in full flower, I was so dazed by the sight it took a minute to realize they weren't trash. Next block a bed of blue campanulas. Bizarre, even the frost-sensitive succulents and Eucalyptus are untouched.
Tuesday night the airport - 40km inland - got 20cm of wet snow and many still without power, we were lucky to get rain instead. Now another storm haas struck and it's blowing a gale out there, raining horizontal stair rods.
john

All is relative regarding plants and weather, isn't it? ;)

Two kind and energetic women from ORGS are organizing group orders from a wholesaler (Van Noort) and this way sometimes you can get things that don't show up at the garden centers.
Now that you mentioned C. cartwrightianus 'Alba', I may also have it although I don't remember buying such thing. Took a picture yesterday and was wondering - it's this one?

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

johnw

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
Gabriela  - Here is the Crocus someone bought at Botanus as C. ochroleucus.  I sent the poicture to Wim who replied "Hi John, not really sure what she has there, but not ochroleucus. If I had to guess, I’d say that one is Crocus cartwrightianus ‘Albus’. C. ochroleucus has a yellow throat, white stamens and yellow pistils."  I very much doubt anyone in Canada sells seed-grown crocus spp., true or otherwise, everything comes from Vanhof & Blokker, Ruigrok and Van Noort (and occasionally a nursery on Long Island, NY) all of which have been plagued with mis-labelling for the decades I was in the business.

john
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:37:50 PM by johnw »

Gabriela

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 01:12:15 PM »
Thanks John. You are very right, must be lucky to get what it says on the label, not to mention the quality sometimes...With Iris reticulata cv. I had good experience from Vanhof & Blokker.

I looked on my list and I asked for C. carcartwrightianus, but not 'Alba'; I like it, not a problem just that it would be good to get what you pay for. At least I got the ochroleucus. I will put some labels not to cut through them in the summer, as per my usual habit (so I can send you a couple of bulbs :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

johnw

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Funny but not so funny we bought some C. cartwrightianus this past August and got a big blowsy cartwrighianus hybrid.  The garden centre's only suppliers are Ruigrok and Vanhof but pretty sure they came from the latter as the shipment was early.

john

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal