We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Euryops acreus  (Read 870 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Euryops acreus
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
Got this plant at the Edinburgh Show earlier this year.  Put it in the garden and it's growing away strong.  I had one a couple of years ago and kept it in a pot. Suddenly it started to curl up its toes for no apparent reason.  I'm perplexed about how to grow this plant.  Can anyone tell me how I can grow it successfully in a pot?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Euryops acreus
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
My mother has one at the foot of a South facing wall on the South coast. Planted out. Rarely gets any frosts.
I would imagine cold and wet would be the only things to kill it off, as hers thrives on neglect.

ChrisB

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Thanks Giles I think I may have killed it with kindness.  The one In the garden seems fine, but I'm not sure how to treat one kept in a pot.  Have a friend who has one in a pot and it too is dying.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »
Mine's in the garden now and doing well. When I had it in a pot it got too dry and that's why it died. In my experience it likes a peaty mixture.

I hadn't seen it for years and was thinking about it one night and how nice it would be to have it again when lo - next morning Hokonui's catalogue arrived and there it was. :) I get a lot of plants from that excellent nursery but it's amazing how many are replacements for those I've lost over the years.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
I probably put it in too much free draining sandy mix Then, Lesley.   I've got a weak looking seedling so I'll give it a bit more talc and see whether it makes it through the winter.  I'd like to grow it to show some time, it's such a great grey foliage plant...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
... I'll give it a bit more talc ...

Not sure that talc will be the best thing for it?  ;D Maybe TLC would be better? Don't you love it when electronic devices are too clever for their own good?  ;)
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

ChrisB

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
What a gotcha Matt, didn't look at what the machine decided Id written... Grrrr
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »
Chris I think it really likes a free-draining mix, plenty of grit, but WITH peat as well. In fact, I grew one for several years in nothing but peat and sand, about half and half. My new one is just budding up now so will be keeping an eye on how it goes.

As well as the look of it, I like the FEEL too, a sort of slightly seaweedy feeling, or even rubbery. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal