We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla mischtschenkoana from seed  (Read 861 times)

Palustris

Scilla mischtschenkoana from seed
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
The mole has kindly dug up a huge clump of seedlings from I think Scilla mischtschenkoana. Question is, can I grow these on to flowering size, or are they like some other bulbs and just fall to pieces, rice grain size? There are 2 litres of them by the way of all sizes from 1cm across to almost invisible. The large ones do seem to split into small ones as I handle them.

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
Re: Scilla mischtschenkoana from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
The mole has kindly dug up a huge clump of seedlings from I think Scilla mischtschenkoana. Question is, can I grow these on to flowering size, or are they like some other bulbs and just fall to pieces, rice grain size? There are 2 litres of them by the way of all sizes from 1cm across to almost invisible. The large ones do seem to split into small ones as I handle them.
This scilla makes nice bulbs if you feed during the growing season with potash.  The bulbs don't split so fast as you imply.
Are you sure you have the right species ?
My advise would be to get rid of the almost invisible rubbish (if you find them after all  ;D) and concentrate on the 1 litre of sizeable bulbs.
And feed if you ever want flowers.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »
No other plants from bulbs in the area where they were unearthed, except Galtonia candida, and they definitely are not them. They do not look like any of the things I normally grow either.
Thanks, will put them back in the Nursery bed and feed them as recommended. Thanks.
Be interesting to see if they are Scilla as some are definitely a good size already. If not then...........?

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
You can expect this.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

Palustris

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
The bed in which the seedlings were unearthed is about 20 metres long, all down one side there are clumps of this Scilla. There must be well over 1,000 of them now.They all flower well too, even when turned out by the mole.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal