We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sick martagon lily  (Read 750 times)

Margaret

Sick martagon lily
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me what has happened to this lily?  It was fine last year and I repotted it in January. It maybe I was a bit heavy handed with the 'special treats' - too much blood, fish and bone?  The central part of the leaf turned bright red and then gradually became brown.
Margaret
Greenwich

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Sick martagon lily
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »
Yes, I think you have been too generous with the goodies. Hope the roots don't rot.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
I have two groups of Martagon lilies, which are quite close to each other. They look the same. They are planted in the earth, and has no extra nutrients this spring.
I think it resembles a fungus on the leaves.
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Gene Mirro

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
Margaret, what does the rest of the plant look like? 

It might be botrytis, or it might be leaf scorch.  See the section called "Physiological disorders" here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041102154110/http://www.hoffqualityfirst.nl/publications/01_2002.htm

""Leaf Scorch" - This disorder is characterised by dark brown tissue. lt can occur on the leaf tip, side of the leaf or even in the centre of the leaf. lt is often associated with fluoride toxicity, but can also be induced by low pH and extreme temperature fluctuations. Lilies should be grown in a fluoride-free planting medium with a pH near 6."
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Margaret

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »

Thank you, all, for the suggestions about the lily.

Gene, the lily is about 600mm tall with several quite fat buds. The leaves started discolouring from the bottom up. I planted three martagons in separate pots but in the same compost mix to which I'd added a bit of horticultural lime, slow release fertiliser and volcanic rock dust. Only this lily is effected but curiously it is much bigger than the others.

Thanks for the reference to Leaf Scorch and fluoride toxicity.  I've looked on line at the symptoms and the brown patches seem to be at the edges of the leaf while my plant's leaves are brown in the centre. I have been watering them with tap water - thought they'd like the chalk! Thames Water does add fluoride but in miniscule quantities. Perhaps I'm killing it with kindness!

Margaret
Margaret
Greenwich

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal