We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Multiplying Roscoea  (Read 4026 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Multiplying Roscoea
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes, on average, from seed to flower?
Depends on the species John but not long - I've had alpina and the red form of purpurea flower in their second year.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
2 years - thanks Gail.   :)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Margaret

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »

Can anyone tell me why my Roscoea flop as soon as they start flowering? They are in a shady damp spot.

Many thanks
Margaret
Greenwich

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Can anyone tell me why my Roscoea flop as soon as they start flowering? They are in a shady damp spot.

Many thanks

If they're not lacking moisture, then it may be that they are too wet- a very wet soil ill exclude air from the roots and cause flopping. Or it may be some other root problem, such as a rot or damage from weevils or other root chomping beasties.

I'm presuming you've had this problem previous years- it seems rather early  to have flowering roscoea this season?

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Margaret

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:29 AM »

Thanks for your help, Maggi.  I would say that the soil is wet in winter (roof water goes into the garden) but OK when the Roscoea are flowering though might be a bit lacking in humus. The clumps are getting bigger and look healthy apart from their tendency to lie down. When they appear above ground do you think it would help to dig them up and incorporate some humus into the soil? I've just bought leaf mold from the local park for £2.50 a bag  ;D
Margaret
Greenwich

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
I think it sounds as though the problem my be heat and lack of water in their growing spell. They come up late and put on a lot of growth in a short time - down there in the "deep south" they will get temperatures much greater than we, for instance, would get up here in Aberdeen.

More humus in the soil would help retain moisture for longer, but we suspect that it is just pure heat that is causing them to  flop. It may not appear to be particularly hot to the humans enjoying the season, but for these plants a London summer must be quite a shock.
Even up here we have trouble keeping primulas cool enough nowadays. Who knows if our roscoeas may be the next to feel the heat.  :-\ :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Margaret

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »

Many thanks, Maggi.  I didn't know that Roscoeas like a cool climate. Mine are on the north side of the house and never get any sun although it's sometimes windy.  I will give them a refreshing water spray on hot days - if we ever get any summer!!

Margaret
Margaret
Greenwich

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal