We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Getting to know you  (Read 2639 times)

JacquelineJ

Re: Getting to know you
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
Hello Steve,
Thank you for the very sensible advice.
The questionaire is really just away for me to find out what motivates people towards a certain type of drop and also helps to get a feel for the person behind the snowdrop.  Apologies to those that have done this all before.
I do know that it won't necessarily be plain sailing and there will be a few failures along the way but hey if you don't give it a try!!! 

I do have some of the dependable, not so rare cultivars and also 500 each of G. Nivalis and G. Flore Pleno that I planted last February.  All are present and correct, standing to attention and one is actually in flower!! Yay!

I haven't bought any rare expensive one's yet but I do have my prayer mat out because a couple of very generous Gentleman on this list, have sent me drops from my wish list and they arrived today  ;D  Thank you, for your generosity, you know who you are.

Now to use the prayer matt and hope that I can grow them and not let you down!!
Fingers crossed time will tell.

Thank you to everyone who has sent me advice.  Can't get enough of that, along with a little beginners luck ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:56:11 PM by JacquelineJ »
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
I agree with Paddy - all the Greatorex doubles, S. Arnott, Atkinsii, Cedric's Prolific etc make beautiful clumps very quickly and make very good reliable garden plants here.  Viridapice just romps away and really likes my heavy soil which many others don't.

I was told by a top snowdrop grower last year to find which ones do really well in my garden and spread them around as a backdrop.....then put your 'specials' in front of them to admire up close and personal  ;)

My collection is relatively new and I have lost so many special ones.  I love Lapwing but my rapidly growing small clump succumbed to stag last year and I lost the bulbs after stripping them down.  I replaced it and so far it is not showing - I will give a bulb 3 chances then give up.

So far my favourites from 2012 are:-

1. Jonathan
2. Cider with Rosie
3. Edith with Fanny a close runner up!

and 4. Magnet - as it was the first snowdrop that stopped me in my tracks at Washfield Nursery many years ago growing in a huge clump and just swaying in the breeze.

I am sure my 2013 list will be totally different  ;)
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:32 PM »
Jennie makes a very good  point: She saw a "snowdrop that stopped me in my tracks" and was taken by it. This is a great recommendation of a snowdrop. If you visit a garden with snowdrops and come on such a snowdrop you surely have spotted one which will appeal to you again and again.

Another group which is of great interest to me are snowdrops of Irish origin or connection - so if anybody has a bulb of 'Ruby Baker' simply crying out for a good home, please pass it on.

In the U.K. this might translate as an interest in snowdrops of local origin and this might form a focus for collecting.

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »

Those which grow well are my preferred choices. I think there are few things so miserable as a single snowdrop and few so beautiful as a good spread.

In my garden 'Colossus' is filling this bill at the moment as there is a large clump of them in view as I write. 'Brenda Troyle', 'Atkinsii', 'Lavinia', 'Ophelia', 'Desdemona', 'Magnet', 'S. Arnott' 'Straffan' etc all perform similarly for me and are the ones I enjoy most. These are what would be regarded as "common" snowdrops but they are common because they grow well and that is a good recommendation.

I don't have very many different snowdrops yet, and this thread has been most helpful for me. :)
 It is difficult to choose from all the varieties and it helps to know which ones are 1. the easiest 2. bulk up quickly 3. are different from the others.
Besides common nivalis I have 'Brenda Troyle', 'Magnet', 'St.Arnott', 'Hippolyta' and 'Merlin'(all flowered last year for the first time). 'Straffan' is already in my list as next to purchase. Galanthus plicatus was an eye-opener for me last year because it was so big. Previously I had thought all snowdrops are nivalis size ::).
Leena from south of Finland

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »
In the U.K. this might translate as an interest in snowdrops of local origin and this might form a focus for collecting.

How right you are Paddy :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
...............and it helps to know which ones are.......................................... are different from the others...................

Ah, now there's the rub! :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
Paddy I got Ruby Baker last year and have already lost it.  I was so upset when I found the carcass in the pot.

I would like to start collecting snowdrops found in Kent but so far only have Hunton Giant.  Does anyone know where I could find out more information or even better - plants for sale?  Rogers Rough has been on my list since I saw it at Spring Platt but you never ever see it for sale.  Does anyone have a list of Kentish varieties?

Thanks
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

ScotsmanInKent

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Hi Jennie

There are quite a few of us in the forum based in Kent.
I would be very interested in local varieties and ones that grow well here also.

I only have about 20 named drops so haven't got that much experience of what works here for me.
nivalis and plicatus both grow OK, but all elwesii types Ive got so far seem to like it here and gro well (sandy and shaded by some trees).
I have 50% grown in containers plunged in sand in cold greenhouse and then out on patio, and 50% planted out.
The planted out do better. strangely being in the greenhouse doesnt seem to make them flower earlier.

Simon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal