We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula 2012  (Read 2549 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Campanula 2012
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
Campanulas are such stalwarts of the summer alpine garden so here are a few to start off with; a lot more to come. There is fascinating background information on these in Graham Nicholls superb book on Dwarf Campanulas.

Campanula garganica 'Dickson's Gold' - a really appealing combination of golden foliage and starry blue flowers, which originally occurred in a batch of seedlings in 1974 grown by Stan Dickson from Newcastle.

Campanula 'Timsbury Perfection' - a very lovely seedling raised from a form of C. rotundifolia by Graham and named for where he lives. My picture nowhere does it justice and perhaps it would like less sparse conditions than the sand bed. I particularly like the very delicate foliage and habit.

Campanula 'Covadonga' - one of the darkest flowered of all originating from the Covadonga mountains of Northern Spain. Although introduced 70 or 80 years ago by Clarence Elliott this has apparently been rarely grown in recent times, and it really is very strikng. My plant came from Blackthorn.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Campanula 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »
Lovely Tim. Whenever I try dwarf Campanulas in the garden all the slugs in the neighbourhood queue up for seconds.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ruweiss

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »
Campanula seraglio raised from seed collected at Mt. Sarigol /Northeastern Turkey.
Campanula choruhensis, also from Northeastern Turkey.
Campanula fragilis hairy form from the Italian Abruzzi Mts.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Campanula is an attractive genus!

C. barbata is native to Norway although not at our cabin. However, I introduced some seedlings several years ago and now they have seeded around and increasing the population. It is very welcome indeed.

363313-0   363315-1   363317-2
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
Some beauties in here.  That plant of fragilis from the Abruzzi mountains if gorgeous.  I love the dark flowered one too.  Beautiful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ruweiss

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
Paul, you are right, thank you for your friendly comment. Flowering of these plants is always a highlight for me. It is a pity, that the different forms of Camp. fragilis don't do it with me in the open garden.
Tried it several times, but longer periods of rain always killed them.
Maybe some kind of overhead protection could solve the problem.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
Paul, you are right, thank you for your friendly comment. Flowering of these plants is always a highlight for me. It is a pity, that the different forms of Camp. fragilis don't do it with me in the open garden.
Tried it several times, but longer periods of rain always killed them.
Maybe some kind of overhead protection could solve the problem.

I agree Rudi , he is not easy to please in our conditions . It's the same here in Flanders .
I had a good plant in my crevice this spring but after this (very)wet summer this plant looks very bad ...
But it is a very lovely Campanula ... so we keep trying ...   

Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal