We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Misting cuttings  (Read 1008 times)

brianw

Misting cuttings
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Reading in another thread about success with Daphne cuttings reminds me a misting unit is something I have always wanted, but it is (was, before current regulations) easier to organise electricity in the greenhouse than automatic controlled mains water supplies. Most years I have sufficient rain water for all my greenhouse watering by hand, and a new setup I am organising will even have it on tap, due to land gradient giving enough pressure/head.

What I am leading up to is how important is the water quality for misting assisted rooting to work satisfactorily. Mains water is clear and chlorinated, and more or less sterile generally (yes I know about brown peaty water in parts of Scotland), so is stored untreated rain water useless for misting because of potential "bugs", assuming I can filter and pressurise it? I thought about using one of these artificial fog units at one time but never tried more or less for the same reasons about the water quality.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Misting cuttings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
- the water needs to be quite clean or the inline filter or nozzle will clog up (so will come home one day to find all cuttings wilted). There are also risks to the plants of using untreated water (disease); and to humans from inhaling potentially infected aerosols (Legionnaire's disease bug will grow in the water over the Summer months). Think of all the concerns re keeping air conditioning units clean/disinfected.(Sorry).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:03:23 AM by Giles »

brianw

Re: Misting cuttings
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
I was thinking more of the plants health than mine, as regards bugs. I have been using the same water barrels, currently 6 but there has been up to 8 at one time, since the late 1960's apparently without problems for me. You have a choice with storing water, whether pond or other types, of trying to keep it clean and bug free or letting a natural balance establish itself, as in swimming ponds etc. where a gardening friend swims with her newts and frogs. I can't remember the last time I emptied and cleaned the system out. But other than with a watering can with a rose in summer, I have never created more than a short term aerosol in an enclosed space so I take your point. I could always include a UV treatment in the line.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal