We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Canberra, Australia : Where the wild things are!  (Read 1290 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Canberra, Australia : Where the wild things are!
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
Howdy All,

I've been discussing this idea with Maggi, and want to float it past you all as well.  I'd like to make this a topic of some of our wild plants growing in the green areas within, or areas surrounding Canberra.  I'm hoping to get out and see more of our surrounding areas and seeing what plants are growing there, and am thinking of posting pics here to show people.  I've been inspired by a recent orchid walk that we had with the Orchid Society of Canberra where we found native orchids that I had no idea we had, and a Crowea species that I came across recently that I also didn't realise grew in this area.  I thought others may be interested in seeing some of my findings as we go?

Obviously, right at the moment I can't post any pictures, but once we're back online in that department, are people interested in seeing some of these local things?  What I've been posting in the Australian National Botanic Gardens topic is far removed in most cases to what actually grows here locally in my area.  This topic would only include local wild plants.

And the other question would be.... what would people regard as "local" in this regard.  I sometimes travel up to the Southern Highlands, about 150km north of here on nursery crawls (some people have bar crawls, I much prefer nurseries)..... would people want to see wild plants from these areas as well if I was up there and wandering?

I know, so many questions.  ;D  I just want to find out what people think about the idea?

Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Canberra : Where the wild things are!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
Paul i can't speak for everybody but please any Aussie wild plants would be FANTASTIC,i would love to see your native terrestrial orchids,bulbs and carnivorous plants(drosera ect).
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

Re: Canberra, Australia : Where the wild things are!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
That goes for me too Paul. :) Go for it! ;D 8)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
Paul,

For me, one of the joys of the site is seeing flowers from other countries. Reports from New Zealand, thanks to Toolie and company, are especially treasured as I know I will never get to see the flower and plants there in the flesh. So, your proposed reports on your native plants would be wonderful.

Looking forward to them.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »
l would like to see some also and birds, insects ...
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »
I agree with above :)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
Me too !  ;D
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Much as I hate to say I told you so, Paul: I told you so!!  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
You post 'em Paul, I'll be interested in them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

maggiepie

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
Yes please, Paul.
Will be so good to see things from home.
PS, can you include some magpie pics ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:36 PM »
Native plants/birds/animals/insects in their own habitats are always of interest to the Forumists. With insects, just remember who will be watching. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »
Thanks folks.  Yes Maggi, I know you said it would be fine, but I still wanted to ask to see what people thought of it.  No comments yet on how far away is local?

Mark, I'll try for the insects and birds.... most of those I photograph at home when I find them, but some of my walks will be for birding purposes anyway..... it is just the challenge of actually photographing them that is the problem.  OK for larger birds at the wet areas, where they tend to sit and co-operate, but the little flittying wild birds of the shrubbery are much more of a challenge for me and my little cameras.   ::)

Lesley, so you're saying you only want the biggest and nastiest insects then, because the cute little ones won't be of interest to anyone?  ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:15 PM »
I knew there would be support for your idea, Paul..... I wasn't counting on creepy crawlies aswell, though  :o
Never mind, I'll have to grin and bear it  ;D

I would think that any place you visit in your trips as well as in the general locality will be equally exciting for us to see. It will all be new to most of us  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »
Cool.  I shall take photographs deliberately when I am out and about.  I can think of a few places in the Southern Highlands which have other interesting flora and fauna, so we'll see what I can do.  I usually take friends with me when going up that way though, so that limits the bushwalking.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
Of course I don't want only the biggest and nastiest Paul, I'm just saying - don't frighten the (Forumist) natives. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal