We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4410 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: April 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
Perhaps you could just label it Eucomis TPR ;)

Then everybody will ask you what TPR stands for. I was given some very nice pleiones labelled PPE. When I asked what it meant, the breeder blushed and mumbled something. He later renamed them Sikkim, no more questions. - By the way, if you read this, Steve, they are very nice indeed. ;D ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
Fermi,

Ariel looks like an interesting colour.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
More nerines
A white hybrid (does have pink buds)
347288-0

First flowering of a seedling of a "dark pink seedling" x ? [mixed pollen! - but possibly N. rosea because of the flower shape]
347290-1

A pale pink hybrid
347292-2

"Aristocrat"
347294-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
"Aristocrat" is well-named. Very classy.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Fermi,

I like the white hybrid.  Lovely clean colour.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
Just two pics today, the first a pure white seedling among the 10 sdlgs from David Nicholson's seed of Lewisia tweedyi. Two are white.

Then a little hoop petticoat just out today, very early for a bright yellow. I have 'Nylon' out and a few other pale forms. This is a seedling, first flower in a roughish patch and I'm sure one parent is 'Citrinus' because of the flattish leaves and the green stripes on the tepals (the outside bits). The stem is just 5cms high. It's very pretty and I'll isolate it, because of it's early bloom. Lovely perfume too. The first 'Atlas Gold' is also out today, much earlier than usual.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
That white tweedyi looks great Lesley, all of mine so far are true to the mother plant. It just shows the benefit of growing from seed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
It's a really sparkling white David and I'm delighted with it and its mate.

This April, mid autumn, has been a wonderful time with warm, sunny and windless days for weeks now. We need rain but such days as these are a real treat after the cool, damp summer we endured. Today is another beauty with an expected high here of 20C in Dunedin but we are usually a degree or two warmer. Even Anthony in Auckland isn't having better weather.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »
Lesley,

Expected high of 13oC here today, so I'm guessing you'll have a bit of a wintry chill sometime in the next week or so.  Would love a nice sunny day at the moment, although some decent rain would be lovely here as well.  Dribs and drabs of little useless rain that doesn't do anything more than make it miserable.  Although 2km from here they had a major downpour the other day.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
We had 15C a day or so ago and heck it was cold (for us) and only 20C today with a bit of drizzle and cold breezes. Nothing much in flower here apart from all the cyclamen in the nursery which do look good whether in flower or just for the leaves.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
Well the cold has certianly come, but from the south not the north-west. Snow on the hills and a few flakes here yesterday too with a bitter southerly wind. It's about 5C outside at present though the sun is shining after 10mm of rain Sunday night and Monday. S'pose it had to happen. :'( Anyway, it's May now.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal