We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeony mystery  (Read 2216 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Paeony mystery
« on: September 08, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
Can anyone identify this paeony? I had it from a seed exchange as P. obovata alba, but it is neither obovate nor white. It has lovely autumn colour.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Paeony mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »
Anne, it looks like P. obovata to me, just not alba. I grew alba for a long time, raised from seed from my parents' plants. The flowers look the right shape, and the 'naughty bits' look right. I recall the leaves of P. obovata alba being a bit more greyish, but might might just have been alba. The pink form could be greener in the leaf. Having said all that, if the parent plant was grown near other peonies, like molokosowitzchii (hope I've spelled that right without the aid of a ref. book!), it could have crossed!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »
Anne, I was thinking about P. obovata alba today and took another look at your pics, and I think you're right, the leaves don't look the right shape for obovata. I recall obovata alba having much more rounded leaves as well as greyer leaves. The more I look at your pics, the more I'm inclined to think hybrid. The leaves have more of a look of mlokosewitschii about them. I'm sure I've read of the two hybridising in gardens.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
Thanks, Martin, I suspect the same - the leaves are not the same shape as my real 'alba' at all.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal