We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Query of a mineral nature.  (Read 645 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Query of a mineral nature.
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
In an effort to declutter I intend putting a couple of minerals on a renowned internet auction site, trouble is I've never known what one of them is so knowing the wide and diverse hobbies and jobs of Forum members I wondered if anyone can help.

Here are 2 pics of the 'front' and 'back' of it.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Query of a mineral nature.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Hi Shelagh,
The black mineral is Haematite, in a form commonly called specularite, while the clear crystals on it are quartz crystals. These types of specimens are typical of the old iron ore mines in the north of england around Egremont, such as Florence Mine which until it closed fairly recently was the last working iron ore mine in England.

Hope this helps

Paul (yes, gardening is not my only interest!!!)
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Query of a mineral nature.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
Thanks Paul, specularite rings a bell now I see it written down. Thank goodness for the Forum.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal