We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is this a fritillaria ?  (Read 1608 times)

robg

Is this a fritillaria ?
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »
Labels are my nemesis, particularly with a tidy minded wife who sees a label and no plant and throws it away !

I've been through my records and am now wondering if it is something else.

Thanks
Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Is this a fritillaria ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »
Looks like Lilium nanum, Rob.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
How do you tell that species from L. oxypetalum?

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »
How do you tell that species from L. oxypetalum?

interesting question, it must be significant as L oxypetalum seems to have gone (back) into Nomocharis

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
I thought that was an error in the Flora of China? L. o. v. insigne is certainly quite different from any form of Nomocharis aperta I know.

Edit: Scratch that, I'd really like to read the protologue for L. oxypetalum, if the plant shown on Paul Christian's web page match the type then it is most likely synonymous with N. aperta (or N. synaptica, if you prefer). To complicate things further the correct name for what is currently grown as N. aperta would then be N. oxypetala ::)

Now what would that make L. oxypetalum v. insigne?  ???
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:23:47 AM by arisaema »

robg

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
Many thanks guys - most likely L. Oxypetalum as I grew some from seed a few years back and this will be about the right time for it to mature and flower.  It's also planted amongst some other lilies so there is some logic to that.  

From a quick look at Google Images, the immediate difference between L. Oxypetalum and L.Nanum is that the latter has a dark throat to the flower and the petal colour is pure, whereas Oxypetalum has a yellow throat and the colour is speckled.  What would I suspect be more obscure is the difference between L. Oxypetalum and the var. Insigne.

Cheers
Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
I thought that was an error in the Flora of China? L. o. v. insigne is certainly quite different from any form of Nomocharis aperta I know.
... To complicate things further the correct name for what is currently grown as N. aperta would then be N. oxypetala ::)
Now what would that make L. oxypetalum v. insigne?  ???

The Kew monocot list http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=282267  has Nomocharis oxypetala as now correct, as does The Plant List http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-282267 .  Both throw v insigne in with the type. 
I can't find it at all in FOC  ???  its not under Lilium or Nomocharis (or even Fritillaria  ::) )

arisaema

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
... To complicate things further the correct name for what is currently grown as N. aperta would then be N. oxypetala ::)
Now what would that make L. oxypetalum v. insigne?  ???

The Kew monocot list http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=282267  has Nomocharis oxypetala as now correct, as does The Plant List http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-282267 .  Both throw v insigne in with the type.  
I can't find it at all in FOC  ???  its not under Lilium or Nomocharis (or even Fritillaria  ::) )

They've reduced it to Nomocharis aperta, look at the synonyms at the link above. It would make sense if the plant pictured by Paul Christian match the type, as it looks very close to the yellow-flowered form described from Manipur as Nomocharis synaptica.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
They've reduced it to Nomocharis aperta, look at the synonyms at the link above. It would make sense if the plant pictured by Paul Christian match the type, as it looks very close to the yellow-flowered form described from Manipur as Nomocharis synaptica.

Oh yes, I see it now, thanks.  What a confusion.  The yellow unspotted Paul Christian version is a very nice plant, whatever the name, shame it's out of stock  :'(

arisaema

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
It does look really nice, I'm hoping he may get it back in stock this autumn. Ian Christie posted a similar-looking plant in the Lilium thread, and there's a couple of pictures on the web page The Genus Lilium.

robg

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
Tiresome these name changes - but at least I wasn't far from the mark I see in thinking initially that it was a Frit - it was once !!

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
In my experience from several different sources, Lilium nanum is quite a lot smaller in the flower than L. oxypetalum, about 3cms across and never widely open, rather than up to 8cms across and sometimes almost flat open. No doubt both vary. My nanums are always a deep plummy colour while oxypetalums are pale to deep pink, often washed with green.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:43 PM »
WOW! So my Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne is now a Nomocahris. I've grown a Nomocharis ;D ;D ;D ;D    WOW!!!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal