We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New bed  (Read 1017 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
New bed
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
Spent a fair proportion of today tidying up and preparing a new planting area. It's about 12' (3.7m) long, and 4'6"(1.4m) wide and
roughly north facing. It's backed by a 6' (1.8m) high timber fence. There is a narrow path in front of the bed about 2' wide and the long side of my greenhouse (8') runs parallel and close up to the path. Facing the bed, to the left hand far side is a large Mahonia (species unknown) about 10' high and next to that a rather nice pink Hydrangea with flower heads the size of footballs, about 4' high which I prune (or in the view of the "power" in the house-butcher!) to keep it at that kind of maximum height. So, all in all I have gained in extra planting space an area of roughly 7' long by 4. 6" wide. With me so far? ;D

I've turned over the soil very well to a reasonable tilth, added a lot of grit and a bag of peat to try to create a mini-woodland type format. I intend to plant a small group of candelabra Primulas to the rear of the plot, some Hepaticas; some Anemone nemorosa forms; some Corydalis and some Erythroniums but I'm open to other suggestions. Particularly I would like to have some suggestions to give the bed some summer colour too, something small growing and well behaved. The bed probably gets a bit of sun as it rises (but I never see it!!) and a bit late afternoon with the rest of the day in shade.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: New bed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Cypripedium reginae , you'll be the envy of your neighbours. ;D ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
Cypripedium reginae , you'll be the envy of your neighbours. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for trying Maren but I think Cyps are a plant too far for me taking into account my "slaying" skills ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:29:14 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
What about roscoeas?  The lovely yellow 'Kew Beauty' does well in that sort of situation but they are all good for summer interest.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
Mmmmm Roscoeas Gail? I have a small patch of of three different species that I grow in full sun but it would be fun to see how some grown in shade perform against those in full sun. Thanks for that.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal