We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla ID  (Read 1906 times)

Ray

Scilla ID
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »
Some years ago I bought some seed described as Scilla peruvianna (cream flowers) and they have flowered for the last couple of years.In the PBS site there is a pic of a Scilla dimartinoi and would like to know if that is what I have or something else,the two pics show a difference in colour.thanks bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Scilla ID
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:48:57 AM »
I think they look like S peruviana which varies in colour. I only have a deep blue now but have previously had a lighter (mid) blue and a pure white except for blue on the styles/ovaries.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
There is a smallish form, Scilla peruviana ssp. gatefossei in which the inflorescence looks open, few flowered, like yours.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »
The colouration of your second pic looks like Scilla peruviana var harrisiana.  Sort of a "murky" pink and blue combination.  Out of interest, does that one produce bulbils on the roots?  I grow a couple of different colour forms of the peruviana as well as the traditional blue and pure white forms.... they all basically behave themselves.  The var harrisiana is never going to go into the ground unless I have lots of space, when you knock it out of the pot the roots running around the edges of the pot have a line of bulbils along the top of the root.  Very different to the others that I grow, which makes me wonder whether it is actually a different species?  The flowers pretty much match your second pic.  I quite like it as it is different, but the sheer amount of bulbils on the roots is rather worrying.  :o

Either way, both are quite nice additions to the peruviana collection I would imagine.  I have enough of my pure whites if you are wanting to add that to your collection?  I haven't seen them around that often, so there is a chance you might not already have it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
Hi All,and thanks for your replies.The real difference to what I call S peruvianna is that these plants are dwarfs,the more cream one is only 75mm tall and the other 120mm.
Interesting to note that neither S dimartinoi or var harrisiana appear in the Kew check list.
Thanks for the offer of the white Paul but I do have it.thanks bye Ray
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:46:44 AM by Maggi Young »
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
Hi All,and thanks for your replies.The real difference to what I call S peruvianna is that these plants are dwarfs,the more cream one is only 75ml tall and the other 120ml.
Interesting to note that neither S dimartinoi or var harrisiana appear in the Kew check list.

S dimartinoi does

http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=287956
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Two scilla in need of an ID.

The first was collected in Jebl Nusairia Syria under collectionnumber RRW9628

The secound is grown from AGS seed as scilla vvdenskyi
I don't know the real S. vvdenskyi, so I hope someone can verify the name.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »

That is Bob and Rannveig Wallis' collection.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
Tis is my scilla vvedenskii from Norman Stevens. The picture is of last year as it floweres here at the end of Aprile/ beginning of May
in Moscow

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

That is Bob and Rannveig Wallis' collection.
It is, but they don't have an ID
I hope someone local can help.
Luc Scheldeman

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
Tis is my scilla vvedenskii from Norman Stevens. The picture is of last year as it floweres here at the end of Aprile/ beginning of May
It looks similar doesn't it ?
Luc Scheldeman

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal