We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Troubled world  (Read 697 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Troubled world
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
There are always natural disasters hitting many communities around the world and sadly there are man-made disasters too.
The recent bomb blast in Jerusalem on Thursday has claimed the life of a woman who is the relative of several Aberdeenshire Group SRGC members.
A teacher who turned to missionary work, Mary Gardner had been studying Hebrew at University in Israel, to enable her to return to her home in Togo to work on a translation of the Old Testament.

Her mother and father, Jean and Tony Gardner are local members, as are her aunt and cousins.
A sad time for many friends.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Re: Troubled world
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
Very sad news Maggi  :(
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
 :( :(

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
Since the second world war, we have perhaps tended to think of major disasters as happening somewhere else, in lands far away and with no connections to our own lives. Certainly a war in Afghanistan, a flood in Italy or an earthquake in China have had no impact on ME except that at the time I think "how terrible." But so many of my much closer communities have suffered one way and another over the last two or three years. The fact is we are all touched and hurt, with every such event, no matter where or when it happens.

We can't stop the natural disasters, though we should stop and think carefully before tearing down yet more of the world's forests for profit and leaving plains and countries below to bear the brunt of flooding, but we surely can, as a race of people, stop the wars which continue to tear the world apart. The situation in Libya is a case in point. Having for so long failed to stop a monsterous man behaving monstrously, governments are now faced with the consequences of appeasment for the sake of oil. I can only see this little tussle as ending up like another Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal