We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fungi 2010  (Read 13924 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Fungi 2010
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
Had a bit of an invasion. I think the beech logs probably have something to do with them.

Graham

Graham we get those in hundreds around the stump of an old apple we had cut down. After a couple of days we find they disintegrate into a mass of slime before disappearing.

Hi Tony,
They are now black and shriveling. I think they will be slime by the morning. As yours appear around your apple stump they must be connected to rotting trees.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »
Robin, Cliff, Cohan,
Thank you!

Ian
They are edible until they are white inside. But it could be dangerous to inhale their puff.

Graham
Your mushrooms look very impressive and… beautiful. :) I don’t think you have to do anything with them. Such kind of fungi grows on died wood not on leaving.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
Pas de trois.  :)

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »
The last harvest

Pascal B

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
Although not in my garden, I nevertheless thought it was interesting to post, a fungus that seems to come straight from the land of the Smurfs..... It photographed it at 2000 meter altitude in Taiwan growing in a coniferous forest

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »
Had a bit of an invasion. I think the beech logs probably have something to do with them.

Graham

Graham we get those in hundreds around the stump of an old apple we had cut down. After a couple of days we find they disintegrate into a mass of slime before disappearing.

Hi Tony,
They are now black and shriveling. I think they will be slime by the morning. As yours appear around your apple stump they must be connected to rotting trees.

Managed to find a picture of mine from last year.There were even more this year but they do not seem a problem and only last a few days
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:44 AM »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
We're having a mild spell after a very cold period with sub-zero temperatures day and night over several days. This doesn't affect the Winter Chantarelles (today's haul pictured) which are now at their peak although not as numerous as normal. I even found a few Chantarelles and Hedgehog fungi.

Most of these will be dried for use during the winter.

Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
Puffballs are quite good. I have never thought about confusing them with the deadly ones - I find them so different in surface texture -  but anyway if they are solid inside they are all right. I slice them thinly and fry in butter to a kind of chips.

Olga. You are the queen of photographers!

This was another bad season for fungi in my place - perhaps the boars took a lot.

Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
These big yellow fungi are cropping up in the garden under a large white spruce, they are about 5-6" across (12.5-15 cm).  I sometimes find them ripped up or broken apart, presumably from squirrels.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
Here is a pic of the true Tuber magnatum .....the most expensiv of all truffes ( this fungi comes from Piemont /Italy )
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »
see
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6201.0
for details about the new Hygrocybe identification guide - simply stunning.

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
A month ago in Corfu I photographed a few fungi species, I have been told by a Greek friend that the first is  Lepiota griseovirens, the next is Tremella mesenterica but no clues on the last two. Can any mycologists out there identify them?

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »
These big yellow fungi are cropping up in the garden under a large white spruce, they are about 5-6" across (12.5-15 cm).  I sometimes find them ripped up or broken apart, presumably from squirrels.

Looks like an Amanita species, Mark (judging by the ring which is falling off of this specimen, the warts on the cap and the gills showing through on the edge of the cap). There's actually a yellow form of the familiar red and white Fly Agaric.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal