We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Parcevall Hall Gardens  (Read 1002 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Parcevall Hall Gardens
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
This was one of the highlights of a recent tour of Yorkshire gardens.

In 1927 Sir William Milner purchased a derelict Dales farmhouse and agricultural holding and through skill, nurture and design was able to create a splendid home with a superb yet intimate garden. The house and gardens are very much of the Arts and Crafts style (though, of course, slightly later in construction). The house reminds me somewhat of Kelmscott Manor in Oxfordshire (cf William Morris).

Today the hall and gardens are in the care of the College of Guardians of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham and the hall is let to the Diocese of Bradford as a retreat. Accordingly, it is arguable that the garden is heaven on earth.

The gardens reside in the most tranquil and quintessential of northern English settings - the northern counties of England contain probably the finest landscapes and picturesque villages to be found throughout these isles (and you don't know how hard that is for a Scotsman to admit!).

Anyhow to the gardens...

Location:  Village of Skyrehome, near Applewick, Wharfedale, North Yorkshire. Signposted from B6265 Pateley Bridge to Grassington (now that's a beautiful village) and also the B6160 Bolton Abbey to Grassington (now that's a beautiful village - well if it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice!). It's only 9 miles from Skipton and 21 from Harrogate so a visit can be easily combined with other ventures such as Harlow Carr.

Garden:  24 acres of Arts and Crafts garden; camellia walks, herbaceous borders, terraces, orchard (with old apple varieties, though fruiting must be difficult with late frosts), wood land walks, tranquil chapel garden, rose garden, large limestone rockery, stream side plantings. A short distance away is a further 8 acres on gritstone of hybrid and species Rhododendrons. Opening 1 April - 31 October 1000-1800hrs.

Facilities: Tea room (great cakes date and walnut is highly recommended); plant sales of locally propagated plants and small shop selling cards and art works. The Hall is not open to visitors.

Information: An illustrated, 26 page guide book (£2) contains a map, suggested walking tour and a history of the gardens and hall. Good value and something which other gardens should consider in order to enhance the visitor experience.

Owners: College of Guardians www.parcevallhallgardens.co.uk

Fee: @£4.75 (RHS concessions, BBC 2 for 1)

Henderson rating: 4.7/5  (don't detour make it the primary destination objective. And then visit Grassington or Birnham Rocks). Note the high marking - in Yorkshire I'd only rate the Walled Garden at Scampston higher.

The pictures do not do justice to the gardens- the moreso since my camera battery expired on the first tour of the garden. I've learned now to always keep a spare battery and cards handy.

Perhaps someone will confirm whether Narcissi W.P. Milner is named after Sir William Milner of Parcevall.

Hope you find something of interest in this short report.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:07:35 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

Re: Parcevall Hall Gardens
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
and some more..
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »
and a few more

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
and again a few more...

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
and finally. I've included the black and white oaks purely as a personal indulgence as I like the image

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
Frazer - What a garden and a great tour, one of the highlights of the month.  I have really taken to this one and could move in immediately. 

I'm sure the College of Guardians of the Shrine of Our Lady of Aberdeen share my view as well.   ;D

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
Perhaps someone will confirm whether Narcissi W.P. Milner is named after Sir William Milner of Parcevall.
That would seem a logical possibility, since Sir William had such a notable connection with so many horticultural projects, Harlow Carr, etc.... but the narcisuss moschatus  form( hybrid?) named W. P. Milner was raised by William Backhouse before 1869 so the dates are a bit out of synch.

The College of Guardians of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham doubtless do share your thoughts, John. Parcevall Hall is used these many years as a retreat and conference centre.... perhaps the  Gaurdians meet there also?

This Lady in Aberdeen is very much enjoying all these Yorkshire Gardens
(and especially the Henderson Ratings) - I'm ashamed not to have visited many.... my Mother in Law is a Yourkshire  woman who would certainly contend that her county has more than its fair share of wonderful houses and gardens. On this I can agree with her  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Ah! God's chosen acres ;D

Good report Frazer, and a lovely garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Excellent report Frazer.  More images of this beautiful garden can be found on the old forum via the following link:-

http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/1078/12961.html
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal