We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newly planted little trough  (Read 3711 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Newly planted little trough
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »
Got this little trough planted up the other day - filled with gritty - limey compost and some tufa rock.

Here are the inhabitants :

back row from left to right :
Paraqualegia anemonoides - Primula marginata 'Drakes blue' - Androsace chamajasme

middle from left to right :
Douglasia laevigata ciliolata - Androsace pubescens - Dianthus 'Leuchtkugel'

Front from left to right :
Edraianthus pumillo - Gentiana clusii - Campanula rainerii

If my Paraqualegia grows to the size of the prize winning specimen at the latest AGS show I'll be in trouble... ;D
I hope I didn't make bad mistakes except for overcrowding the little thing - which I always seem to do... ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Newly planted little trough
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
Luc, that's given me some planting ideas.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »
make sure you show it again next year.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:44:16 PM »
After mention of Morisia monanthos as a good trough plant  in an earlier thread, when I said we had lost our plants, Brian Wilson contacted me to offer a cutting. Very knid of him! The other day I asked a favour of Brian and Maureen, on their way to Perth Show, but they were going by another route and so could not help me with a Rhodo. quest.....imagine my surprise today to have these pots delivered by Maureen......
14570-0

The promised Morisia cutting.... showing its willingness to grow from root cuttings by having a strong root sticking out of the base ofthe pot! AND this rather fab pot.... not a Rhodo!
If this is my reward for asking impossible favours, I really must think up something else !! ::) ;D
I have another reason to show you this extraordinary pot of Asparagus deliciosus, however....
in the midst of the show season, it is a timely reminder that a little effort put into dressing one's plants can have a dramatic effect on their success .... look how beautifully the asparagus spears are presented, with their mossy collar. If a vegetable, albeit a luxury vegetable, can look this good with some care and attention, think how good a real plant could look.... and this is the sort of attention to detail that Folks likethe Wilsons put into their exhibits......I'm not saying you have to do it, but it is worth a try... and, going back to planting little troughs, pay as much attention to the layout of rocks as to the plants and take some effort to arrange the whole in an aesthetically pleasing manner, don't just bung everything in... think about it, it'll pay off in the end.
Oh, and Maureen and Brian, thanks for the Morisia... so glad you weren't able to help, because you know how much we LOVE asparagus!! Cheers, Chums!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 06:46:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
Maggi,

Asparagus with moss - Never. Far better with Bearnaise sauce.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
The Sauce Béarnaise is a scrummy thing  and no mistake, sadly, we are so greedy that when we are lucky enough to get asparagus are good and as fresh as this, we tend to just munch the lot, raw. It is delicious and, I am sure, very good for us. Save dirtying a pan, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »
Looks nice
I planed to take som cuttings from my mother-in-law but it was only one in cutting size the others where 1m tall :(
Must remember earlier next year then it supply a lot  8)

Good point about small things making a huge improvment. I am sloppy with these things so this gave me a good lesson.  :-* :-[
Hopfully I will remember it for a while.
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 10:22:11 PM »
You are VERY, VERY brave Joakim......not many Scottish or English men would DARE to take cuttings from their mother-in-laws (one would SURELY be enough)!!!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:14:19 PM »
maybe a Freudian slip  :-[
I meant cuttings from my mother-in-law´s (asparagus) and not my mother-in-law. :) it is so good I will not change it.
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:11:49 PM »
Maggi,

My wife regularly complains of how unproductive my asparagus bed is, despite the loads of manure lavished upon it, regular watering etc. The explanation is simple; I eat a lot of asparagus while passing through the veg patch. It's good stuff.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
Luc I hope you succeed with your paraquelegia I have kept these in a trough for up to 2 years and got a few flowers. This time I have drilled a hole in the side of my hypertufa trough and will try to grow in vertically in the hope of avoiding winter wet. Will be interested to here how it works out for you
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
I hope to bring positive reports next year Ian !  It's my first Paraquilegia, I keep my fingers crossed... ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal