We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Earthquake New Zealand  (Read 6034 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: Earthquake New Zealand
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Found the link--- go to

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
more pictures i.e. here http://www.nzboards.com/news-views-and-issues/christchurch-earthquake-pictures-91511/

All the best wishes to our forum friends in NZ!
I hope your goverment provides all necessary support in order recover quickly from the shock!
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
Thanks for the youtube link..... I do think the page must have been updated before I looked to find that content. The helicopter shots are very revealing.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
The original article given by David has been updated somewhat and has a new url - here it is:

http://www.geonet.org.nz/news/sep-2010-darfield-earthquake/gns-science-response.html

It also contains a link to the utube movie, though this is a bit difficult to watch on my very slow broadband connection.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
The Govt. does seem to be coming to the party, at least in words. It seems there will be at least $4billion to be found for the cleanup and it is said that it will take a year or even more to replace broken sewer lines, especially in Kaiapoi. Portaloos are to be in place in some streets for that time but I don't think I could bear that scenario. Some people have already left the city.

Some farmers near Hororata and Darfield have brand new, full size rivers or lakes on their properties.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
Welcome Stuart, I didn't realize that was you. Glad to see you posting. Don't stop now. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »
Interesting link showing quakes/aftershocks over time

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz:80/
Christchurch, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:50 PM »
"maintain their keen sense of humus"

We do our best John. Thank heaven for plants. I know that in times of severe stress I always find some relief in potting, seed sowing, weeding or whatever, in the garden and humus is the nicest stuff to work with. ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »

That is fascinating.... if more than a little frightening. Really an eye-opener to see just how many shocks there have been so far.  :-X

Senecio 2

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
Easier to watch the earthquake map if you click on the slow button under the word jump. 4 so far today.
3.4M, depth: 8km 10/9/2010 09:17
3M, depth: 6km 10/9/2010 07:15
4.5M, depth: 6km 10/9/2010 07:10
3.9M, depth: 4km 10/9/2010 06:28

Below are 2 pics of our teenage volunteer army. This group part of a team of 25 clearing silt around buildings where machinery cannot reach. There are teams like this all around the residential areas of Kaiapoi while the schools remain closed.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
Your reporting of the 2,000 students turning up to clean out gardens etc is a good new story. Nice to read it.

I agree with Paddy, in his earlier posting, that this is 'a good new story'  -  to see so many young people respond to the earthquake cleanup situation and help the elderly is fantastic and the elderly will appreciate the youth so much more, too, after this.  This spontaneous reaction after a posting on Facebook from a real young leader to those in need reveals the best in human nature, whatever generation.

On top of that, for the young involved it will be such a worthwhile task, paid for by thanks not money, that it will probably influence them for the rest of their lives (2000 in one go) 

Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
It's terrific to hear of these young folk volunteering like this. If they are all as strong looking and  chunky as the ones in Stuart's photo they'll soon have the place cleared up.  ;)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 03:11:52 PM »
:o :o
That's some serious re-arrangement of the local landscape going on there.
Of course the aftershocks never appear in the news, other than as a throwaway line at the end of a bulletin showing wrecked buildings. You can see why people want to go on living in the streets after a major 'quake.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »

holy cow! i've only every experienced two very minor quakes while living in toronto..never heard of any here...
thanks DaveM for the repost, good to know i wasn't just missing the photos...lol

i agree its great to see the youth out helping :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »
A full week later and still there is much to be discovered. Building assessors are only now getting to some of the outer suburbs and smaller towns in Canterbury and finding more and more homes and businesses badly or even terminally damaged. St John's Ambulance reported overnight that on Friday night they attended 8 coronary attack callouts (the nightly average is usually 1) and of the 8, 7 were fatal, all believed to be stress-related. So I guess the quake could be said to have killed at least 7 people.

An enormous landslip (100 metres wide) has closed Highway 1 between Christchurch and Kaikoura and this too is thought to be the result of earth movement from the quake. It will take days to clear and there could even be vehicles under the debris. This is, after all, Nz's eqivilent to the M1.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal