We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Frit ID  (Read 1555 times)

Ray

Frit ID
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
Another Frit to ID thanks Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Frit ID
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
Ray,

Do you have a picture of the whole plant as well?  With many of the Frits the leaf arrangement is as much an identification feature as the flowers themselves (i.e alternate leaves or basal rosette etc), so a pic of the whole plant may help in identification.  If you're having trouble focusing your camera onto the flower, try holding your finger/s next to the flower, focusing the camera onto your finger/s then moving it across..... I find this often gives the camera the hint of where it is supposed to be focusing.  Doesn't always work, but generally it helps.  Clear pics help a lot for identification purposes.  IF there are any other camera hints I can offer, just drop me an email. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

Frit ID MK 2
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:56:26 AM »
Hi Paul and others,realized,last night that the photos weren't very good and were making ID of the Frit difficult,so went and got a small tripod to see if that would help,it has but still not real good pics,using macro doesn't seem to make any difference.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
Ray, why don't you put up a picture of the little yellow one as well. Plenty frit experts in the NH who will be able to identify it correctly.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ray

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »
This is a frit that I posted in the SH topic.This frit is about 6ins in height and has yellow flowers also the stem is red for about 1 in.
The actual plant looks so much like the pic in the book Fritillaries by Pratt & Jefferson-Brown and is why that I gave it this name.
So see what you think.
The other Frit I am trying to get an ID for I think is F pyrenaica?
Thanks for your help bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Ray

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
Could someone confirm this Frit as F pontica var substipelata.thanks Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Ray

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
Could someone confirm this Frit as F pontica var substipelata.thanks Ray
This Frit I took to Olinda and Otto ID it as F rhodocanakis thanks Otto bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Have you got a picture of the rhodokanakis Ray? I'd like to see how it differs from mine.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ray

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:35:24 AM »
Hello Lesley,the pic of F rhodocanakis is in reply No 5,so Otto has confirmed its not what I thought it was.These are some pics of it 2 weeks later.Mine does not appear as yellow as yours bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal