We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Midland Show at Solihull on 18th APRIL 2009  (Read 10739 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: AGS Midland Show at Solihull on 18th APRIL 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »
Welcome Denise

Glad to see that you are finally out of the closet   ;D

There is no going back now

Ian

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »
Finally got round to my latest blog "Portrait of a Show" which shows a bit of what goes on behind the scenes at a show. 
Blog 11 - Portrait of a Show
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
And a very fine report it is, too, Diane. 8) Excellent insight into all the background work that goes on and super for those Overseas readers who never get to experience a show first hand of how the hall is transformed into such a colourful spectacle....... and of course there are lots of UK show visitors who do not have a full notion of exactly how much effort is involved to present the event; an eye-opener for them too, I expect!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
Very interesting Diane !
Thanks for taking us behind the scenes !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

JOHN HARRISON

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »
Many thanks Cliff for posting all the pictures of the Midland show. As show secretary I was to busy to view the actual plants so it is  a pleasure to catch up what I missed out on. Also thanks to the other postings.
Many thanks Giles for your early contributions to this topic and very nice to meet you today at the show.
The Midland Show proved another superb event in a very consistent spring and summer. Hearty congratulations to John Harrison, Diane Clement and everyone involved in this tremendous event.  The day started cool and cloudy but the sun came out after lunch and the hall was bathed in sunlight and colour all afternoon.  The Farrer Medal went to 'the daphne king'; Robin White with a spectacular ... daphne!
Birthday greetings to John Dower and Tony Lee (pictures to follow) and congratulations to all the exhibitors for a beautiful array of plants.
Lots more images to follow when time and tide allow ...

Aquilegia grahamii
Calceolaria darwinii
Cypripedium fasciolatum
Dionysia F3 hybrid
Farrer Medal winning daphne
Farrer Medal winning exhibitor; Robin White
Fritillaria close-up
Kalmiopsis leachiana
Lewisia brachycalyx
Lewisia Carousel hybrid

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
Hello, John and a warm welcome to you.
I can sympathise with  your statement..... I know only too well that as a show secretary one often does not get to see the wood for the trees! There is so much to do that even with checking every plant to see if it is eligible for its class, it is possible to be surprised later at what pops up in a photo....I often think how did that get there? ....Things I have no recollection of seeing when someone asks who showed such and such a plant........thank goodness for photos! It is still never possible to capture everything, but these pictures are a super record nontheless. 8)
 Your show looks to have been really super.... just hope there are plenty plants for Glasgow show coming up next week and then Aberdeen on the 16th May..... somethings seem to be going over very quickly in the changeable weather we're having, so who knows?  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal