We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dicentra uniflora  (Read 2194 times)

johanneshoeller

Dicentra uniflora
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
Hi all,

I just received some Dicentra uniflora (steer head) seed. The seed has been kept moist and refrigerated. Has anyone tried to germinate this plant and were you successful. The plant hails from the high Rocky Mountains and is a snowmelt plant. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Dicentra uniflora
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
Dear Hans,
I found this in Deno's 'Seed Germination Theory and Practice' First supplement to 2nd Edition.
I struggle to understand his abbreviations: I think '70D' means 70 deg F in the dark.
'DS 6 m at 70' means 'Dry storage for 6 months at 70 deg F'
I would guess his complete entry would mean fresh seed will not germinate, but after 'after-ripening' (warm/dry) it will germinate. (?)
I have a book on Dicentra, and it describes the cultivation of D.uniflora as 'challenging'......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:03:57 PM by Giles »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »
Hans, as a snowmelt plant, growing for a short season then retreating quite early to dormancy, and growing in gravelly soils, I would suggest the following method for Dicentra uniflora seed .... (when you have plants, treat as for frits in the alpine house.).........
Fresh Dicentra seed tends to germinate fairly  rapidly, but seed you have now will likely take its time. Winter exposure for the seed pots is called for.... are you familiar with the compost mixture used by Ian Young? (If not you can find it it the BulbLogs) ... basically it is a 2:1:2 mix..(this can be 2 parts gravel, I part leafmould ( or peat if you use that) and 2 parts  loam ) but we mostly now  use 2 parts gravel 1 part leafmould and 2 parts sand 
(good, "sharp" sand that is painful to rub in your hands!) and  this would be best for the dicentra, I believe.   Sow the seed thinly on the surface of the slightly moist compost, on a layer of sand then dress with gravel and set outside in a frame. Wait for winter to do its work. There should be some growth in Spring....feed with dilute liquid feed and try to keep the plant growing for a s lomg as possible..... it won't get very big, but you must keep it green for as long as you can. when it yellows, allow the pot to dry somewhat but do not allow to become dessicated over summer. Don't prick them out for a year or two, keep feeding them..... that's the best advice I can give..... good luck!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johanneshoeller

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »
Thank you for your information and recommendation. It is obvious this plants is not very common.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal