We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: galanthus krasnovii  (Read 2970 times)

loes

galanthus krasnovii
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »
Does anyone grow this galanthus in his garden(or pot)?
I read it wants a wet winter/spring and a drier summer and it should be hardy.
How does it behave in your garden,any info is welcome.

any info /experienses about galanthus cilicicus is also appreciated.

Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: galanthus krasnovii
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
Loes, here are links to a few posts that may help you.....

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=266.msg6581;topicseen#msg6581
Re: Galanthus mid February to March 2007
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2007, 04:55:42 PM 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've tried to make a better photo, but due to dull weather this
is the best I could get:

- Leaves of Galanthus koenenianus
- Galanthus krasnovii

Thomas - that is much clearer - as you know, I could not work out what the snowdrop in the foreground of your original picture was doing with the leaves of g. krasnovii, when you had said that krasnovii was growing in the background!

The leaves for both your g. koenenianus & your g. krasnovii look absolutely right.

Mark - if I were you, I would get your krasnovii out of its pot straightaway - when I think of krasnovii, I think of the pictures in both the 'Snowdrops' book & 'Genus Galanthus' which show krasnovii flowering in the snow melt, on the edge of a snow field - you need it to be in the ground, where it can be really wet at this time of the year - I grow it in 3 different places in the garden, both light shade & more open (like Thomas, my soil is sandy) & it seems equally happy in its several locations.

Here's another link....   http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39.msg2226;topicseen#msg2226

From Snowdropman Chris:
   Some species, like g. krasnovii, are a bit more challenging! In his book, 'The genus Galanthus', Aaron Davis pictures g. krasnovii in full flower on the edge of melting snow! Here in the south of England we do not see much of this particular white stuff, so I have planted out bulbs in several different parts of the garden, looking for a position that is cool & wet/retains the wet during the flowering period, but is dry in the summer, and will be carefully monitoring results.   

This page has pix of the plant in the wild, and may be of help......
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=549.msg13391;topicseen#msg13391

Hope this helps a little, but there will be advice from others, I am sure.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

snowdropman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
Loes - I have been growing G. krasnovii now for 4 years and it seems very tolerant - as long as you do not plant it in full sun, then I think that you will be okay - once it is settled it seems to reproduce well.

I grow my G. cilicicus in the open garden, with good results, but this species is thought to be tender. A Dutch friend found that his G. cilicicus struggled to grow in the open garden. You have a much colder climate than me, with a lot more heavy frosts, so I would advise that you start off by growing it in a pot, in a cold frame, to give it some protection - when your bulbs start to reproduce then you can experiment by planting one bulb out in the garden, in a place that gets the sun in the winter.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

loes

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »
Maggi and Chris,

Thanks for the answers.you have been most helpful.
So galanthus krasnovii should be oke for me and galanthus cilicicus is a bit more of a challenge.
Other tender species,peshmenii and fosteri,I planted out in the garden last year.So far they survived but it is too soon to say they are happy outside.
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

snowdropman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »
Loes - let us know next year how you have got on with your G. cilicicus.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

loes

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
Chris,

I don`t have them yet.I must inquire but think they are not available anymore this year .I will probably have to wait for next summer/autumn.(gives me time to bulk up my savings ;D)
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

biodiversite

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »
I've just read this post but I presented my G. cilicicus beginning to flower here http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1416.15 Actually, I think it is happy outside, as the temperatures can reach -10°C during the winter for several days...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal