We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G.peshmenii small bulbs?  (Read 6793 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: G.peshmenii small bulbs?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
Maggi,  'The Book' says
"G.peshmenii has leaves that are glaucescent to almost glaucous, not green to glaucescent with a prominent grey central stripe as in G. reginae-olgae.  The leaves of G.peshmenii are also narrower , and usually longer, than those of G.reginae-olgae."

Does that help?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 10:50:41 PM »
Brian, every little helps, as the advert for a  well-known supermarket  says!!! ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »
Last week I spoke in depth to someone about the differences between these two snowdrops. His answer was very simple and along the lines of

there is no obvious difference unless you know exactly where your bulbs came from ie you collected them or you can rely 100% on your source

How about that?

If you do want to know about your own plants eg mine have come from various sources including online suppliers and bulb sales you have to disect a leaf and take a section across the leaf and look at it under a microscope. G. peshmenii has larger tubes.

Are you willings to sacrifice a leaf? I'm not. I'm happy to know I have autumn flowering snowdrops

oops I should have read Maggi's words
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:17:54 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 11:25:28 PM »
Maggi,  'The Book' says
"G.peshmenii has leaves that are glaucescent to almost glaucous, not green to glaucescent with a prominent grey central stripe as in G. reginae-olgae.  The leaves of G.peshmenii are also narrower , and usually longer, than those of G.reginae-olgae."

Does that help?

I used to think they were the same and certainly the presence or absence of leaves at flowering time does not seem reliable. I do however think that when you see them side by side the leaves are clearly different and as quoted by Brian. I had some correspondence with an expert some years ago and we both agreed that we could see the difference when he pointed it out.

Not very helpful if you only have one species. Again looking to compare the tubes only works if you have both to compare.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

biodiversite

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Hi everybody : thank you for this interesting post !
I have two forms of autumnal Galanthus, collected in nature (  :-[ ::) ) some years ago : one from Taygetos Mts and one from Epiros. The first form is a little more early in the season, and at the beginning of the second form, I compared the two forms (first photo) : the flower of the second one was smaller, then I asked if it could be G. peshmenii.
Two weeks later (this week end), I compared the flowers : the first form is finishing, but it seems that the flowers of the second one are taller than previous. Moreover, I compared the leaves side by side (photos : left, the Taygetos form) : for me, they are similar, so I think now that I have two true strains of G. ro ssp. ro.

If somebody is interested for comparison with his own strains, I would be happy next summer to swap the form from Epiros and G. ikariae ssp. snogerupii against other strains of known origin  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:30:17 AM by biodiversite »

biodiversite

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
Hi everybody !
My form from Epiros is still flowering, and the leaves are developping : does it help you to define if it is G. peshmenii or G. reginae-olgae ssp. reginae-olgae  ?

Moreover, G. caucasicus from Taurus is beginning to flower, one month before last year !

best regards

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
Quote from: biodiversite link=topic=1416.msg61300#msg61300 date=1226399291
I have two forms of autumnal [i
Galanthus[/i], collected in nature (  :-[ ::) ) some years ago : one from Taygetos Mts and one from Epiros. The first form is a little more early in the season, and at the beginning of the second form, I compared the two forms (first photo) : the flower of the second one was smaller, then I asked if it could be G. peshmenii.

Hi Bio..

As far as I know G. peshmenii is endemic to a small area in the Antalya region in SW Turkey [ and not in Greece].
It looks to me like you have two  G. r-o.
also most of the peshmenii i saw and grow, bloom without having the leaves, these start to appear towards the end of blooming time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:51:54 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
Oron

I agree with you they are G. r-o but what I would say about the G. peshmenii is that the amount of leaf growth at flowering time must depend on rainfall. This year the rain was particularly late and so the flowers mostly appeared without leaves but in previous years when they have been in flower in mid October they have had leaves.

If you look at Hagens pictures some have leaves and others do not.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:01:54 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

biodiversite

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »
Thank you very much for this precise answer, now I'm sure of their identity  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal