We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tiny creeping plant with a pink flower  (Read 689 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Tiny creeping plant with a pink flower
« on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:52 AM »
It's always interesting to sow a bunch of seeds from a noted collector (in this case, Betty Lowry) and see what comes up.  I haven't been able to match this plant with the seed envelopes.

It is less than 2cm tall and the flower is maybe half a cm long.  Since more than one of these sprouted, I'm curious if anyone can put a name to it.  Let's hope it's not some terrible weed!
Thanks!

672501-0
672503-1
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Tristan_He

Re: Tiny creeping plant with a pink flower
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »
Hi Claire, that looks like bog pimpernel, Anagallis tenella. Very pretty and though it can spread rather enthusiastically, definitely not a weed. I grow it in pots with my pitcher plants as it isn't that easy to keep going for long in the garden.

Best, Tristan

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »
Aha!  Thank you, Tristan.  On the list of plants I sowed is Anagallis alternifolia var. repens.  That was a good catch!
...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
Ah, interesting - that would make sense. I thought the leaves didn't look quite right for bog pimpernel. Not come across A. alternifolia, hopefully it will make a nice show.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal