We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trip advice requested March or April in South Africa  (Read 1409 times)

GordonT

Trip advice requested March or April in South Africa
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:53:38 AM »
Plans are in development for a trip to South Africa,  some time in March or April 2019. We know the best time to see the Western Cape floral display would be in August, but are limited in travel dates. Martin and I would welcome any suggestions concerning botanical “Must See” sites. Would there be much in bloom at Kirstenbosch, or other botanical gardens? We are just beginning to flesh out an itinerary, and welcome any input.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Darren

Re: Trip advice requested March or April in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
This would be peak flowering time for many of the succulents such as Lithops and conophytum. You could try the Karoo NBG near Worcester which has a lot of succulents like these. To see them in the wild I would suggest a few days exploring the reserves near Springbok if you can travel that far north.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

GordonT

Re: Trip advice requested March or April in South Africa
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Darren. I am not sure if we will be able to get to Springbok,in the time we will have in-country. Our stay will be centered around Johannesburg and Cape Town,planning for day trips from each location. We may be able to fit in an overnight stay for something exceptional, partly due to the need to visit with family living in Johannesburg.   
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal