We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Really Big Galanthus  (Read 3565 times)

Jan Jeddeloh

Really Big Galanthus
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:30 AM »
Hi, all,

I know everyone covets and talks about the itty bitty galanthus.  Well, I seem to have a clump of the monster galanthus.  This clump has really long leaves, like over 40 cm (yes that's correct) long.  They're up to 4 cm wide too.  They are kind of a glaucous green due to the gray coating.  The flowers have a green splotch at the apex and base.  I took some pictures today but haven't downloaded them yet.  I also don't have a clue how to post on the forum.  I'm guessing I use that insert image icon. I'll try tomorrow when I'm not tired.

I have some smaller, similar galanthus in my yard.  I'm guessing either caucasicus or elwesii.  I also may have virus because the leaves are a bit streaky.  Do you think my monster plants are simply a non-virused version of the above? Tetraploid? Just really happy?  My small plants do not have blotches on both the base and apex, however.

The plants are growing in heavy soil under some Acer macrophyllum.  They get some water during the summer but they certainly don't live a pampered life.

Thanks,

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA Zone 8
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Really Big Galanthus
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 07:19:56 AM »
Hi Jan, it does sound like elwesii that can grow some huge leaves. I remember a few years ago somone arrived at an evening meal with an elwesii that had leaves the same height as Matt Bishop when he was sitting down. I dont know Matt's cheeks to head measurement. 'Paradise Giant' has huge leaves.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »
Hi, Jan, great to have you posting again.
Have a look at this thread  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41.0
It will help you with posting pix.... it's all there so I won't repeat it here  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:16:13 PM »
Hi Hans,

Certainly G. elwesii monostictur (syn. G. caucasicus) as it grows in my garden has leaves of similar proportions, very large indeed and with the glaucous colouration that you describe. The flower stalk is a foot high. I have some G. elwesii but none with foliage quite of this stature.

Good to have you on the forum Jan and good to hear from a snowdrop grower in the USA. Portland, Oregon, is the home of Timber Press Publishers, possibly the best of horticultural publishers. Certainly I have enjoyed many of their books.

Looking forward to your photographs.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:09:14 AM »
Hi, All,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get pictures posted of my mega galanthus.  I had to shanghai my husband for some help since I couldn't figure out how to find the pictures on my computer in a usable format.  Here's hoping these two pictures go through.

Jan

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »
wow! Is it like that every year?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:44:44 AM »
You know I don't really know if it's like this every year.  I've only noticed it this year but then I have various clumps of similar but smaller galanthus kicking around the yard.  It's quite possible I just didn't notice it last year-my garden is probably around 1/2 acre and some years it does nothing but rain during galanthus season.  My soil is basically a rather heavy but rich clay so it is well fed.  MG (monster galanthus) is growing under some Oregon Maple (Acer macrophyllum).  I water some in summer but the acers work hard at sucking the moisture out of the ground.  It's not just one galanthus but  small clump of them.  I guess I'll have to keep tabs on MG and see what happens next year.

Jan

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
The clump of my biggest elwesii has one leaf that is noticeably wider
than the others this year - 4.5 cm wide, 50 cm tall.  The typical leaf in that
clump is a bit less than 4 cm wide. The flower stem is 42 cm.

I'll separate the giant and see if it maintains its stature.  I don't know
how long it has been so big - I haven't measured it before.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Iturraran

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »
So glad to notice this post!. So it is G. elwesii the big, glaucous snowdrop that I have treasured for years  ;) It came attached to a deciduous azalea ('Strawberry Ice' I seem to remember).
That big clump was finally planted in the garden 3 years ago, but voles nearly destroyed it completely in just 2 days after planting: I picked the remnants and after a couple of years of careful pot growing, got five nice clumps but I would hate to lost them again to voles  :-[...
Jose
Iturraran Botanical Garden
Basque Country, Northern Coastal Spain
Humid ocenic climate, Z9
http://www.iturraran.blogspot.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal