We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epipactis seed  (Read 1335 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Epipactis seed
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
How would forumists deal with this seed.  I have 3 nice fat seed pods but I haven't sown them before and I'm not sure which method to use?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

SteveC2

Re: Epipactis seed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
As orchids they will need mycorrhizal fungi in germination and are normally grown in sterile conditions in flasks, but you could try simply spreading the seed around the parents in the ground or their pots, particularly if you have the native E. palustris or the very vigorous E. gigantea.  If you are one of the lucky ones with E. helleborines turning up in the garden just let it do its own thing.  I do not think that conventional methods will work.  Sorry if this is overly simplistic.  If you want specifics of growing in vitro I think Neil will be your man.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »
I read that spreading orchid seed on soil from the garden in cardboard boxes helped germination. I tried this last year but no sign of germination yet. Garden soil should contain all the mycorrhiza required.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
If you have Beech or Hazel trees in your garden then sow the seeds around them and hope they have the relevant fungi to enable germination.  In a more controlled environment you could sow them using the cardboard method http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9466.0

Do you know what species they are?
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
Red helleborine Neil. Hopefully you will say they are easier.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
Only one of the hardest to germinate,  I have never managed to germinate them invitro and I don't know of anyone who has.  Sorry.  Best to scatter them around and hopefully you might get some germination.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

SteveC2

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
I'd be amazed if you have red helleborine Sheila.  As rare as hen's teeth in the UK, two flowered this year I think, and I have never seen it for sale anywhere.  Dark red helleborine is native in your area or perhaps its royleana from the Himalayas?  Readily available and has redder flowers than others such gigantea.

And to Ian, thirty years of spreading Dactylorhiza seed in my garden has produced zero plants in the ground, plenty in pots but none in ground.  Orchids are fussy about their fungal partners, that's why they don't grow everywhere.  The cardboard technique obviously works with some of the less fussy species, but not all.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
Hello Steve, I have also been spreading orchid seed in the garden for quite a few years. The only place they have germinated is among saxifrage plants in my troughs. I suppose the breeze carried them there and the only species to germinate are southern marsh orchids. I have tried seed of quite a few species from the exchange.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal