We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Please ID  (Read 1135 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Please ID
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
I bought this plant last year ... but the name is wrong. It is probably a North American who likes it dry. Who knows this plant with this distinctive foliage?

Tristan_He

Re: Please ID
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »
Leucogenes, could it be Antennaria aromatica?

Tristan

Leucogenes

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
Hello Tristan, Antennaria aromatica I also in my small collection. It looks similar but different. I'll take a picture tomorrow, then we can compare.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
I too thought of Antennaria aromatica (quite variable), but possibly it is Antennaria densifolia, a rare species from Montana.

plant profile
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=pdast0h160

close-up of foliage
http://mtnhp.org/thumbnail/defaultGen.aspx?itemid=68274&maxWidth=1024&maxHeight=768
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Leucogenes

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
Hello Mark,

Thank you for the informations. If I compare the pictures in this link with my plant, I say it could be Antennaria densifolia. I like the shape and color of the foliage very much. I hope I can keep them alive. I was told that it must be very dry. That is why she is covered.

Tristan_He

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
That looks like a good shout Mark - I am certainly no expert and there look to be a lot of species.

Looks like a little gem that one. No chance of keeping it alive in our wet climate sadly. It's been raining more or less solidly for the last week, though today has turned to sleet for variation!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »
I would beware of keeping it too dry - a little water from below is likely in its native habitat, even though it appreciates having a dry top and neck....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leucogenes

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
So here are some pictures for comparison. The first shows my A. aromatica (from Montana, Carbon Co., 2960 m), three years old.

The two other photos show again the A. densifolia (possibly) in detail.

I am annoyed that I bought only one of them. :-\ But when I see the provider again on an event, I buy it again. I love these hairy leaves with these folds.

@ Maggi ... thanks for the hint. Water from below ... then it is probably better I use the "pot in pot" method? In the link of Mark stands A. densifolia grows on lime. So I'll be careful to repot it in the spring.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal