We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium  (Read 2531 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
lilium
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
Surprised to see a pot of Lilium lophophorum in first bloom in the greenhouse tonight. I have never seen it before. Also my L. oxypeltalum v insigne from the Stones. Wonder if this is different from the usual? Will photograph tomorrow morning. Here's last year's photos of it:

Should have posted this in Lilium. Sorry.

johnw
Edit: I have moved your post, John!
 Maggi
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:04:17 PM by Maggi Young »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: lilium
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
I'm no expert John but I did look to see what Edward Austin McRae had to say about Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne. He doesn't say a lot apart from 'flowers of purplish pink and green' and that seems to fit your pictures.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »
Whilst we have a Lilium thread growing could I hijack it for a moment please.

I have a batch of seedlings growing away really well of L. formosanum var. pricei from seed that Lesley kindly sent me. They were sown in June last year and currently I have them in the greenhouse in 3 inch pots although having looked at them today, with very healthy roots through the drainage holes, they are ready for potting on. McRae says it is Winter hardy flowering July or August but I don't know if this is based on his Oregon experiences. Am I likely to get away with them outside here in Devon (reasonably mild but wet) or should I re-pot them and leave them in the greenhouse and plant them out next Spring?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
Plant them outside in a well-drained spot, var. pricei is fully hardy even here in Norway.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:26:21 PM »
Thanks arisaema
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johnw

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
Plant them outside in a well-drained spot, var. pricei is fully hardy even here in Norway.

We have never been able to winter v. pricei here in Nova Scotia. I think a friend had it come through one winter only, it was in a scree.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
I'm no expert John but I did look to see what Edward Austin McRae had to say about Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne. He doesn't say a lot apart from 'flowers of purplish pink and green' and that seems to fit your pictures.

David  - I'd say the colour here of the fully open flower is closer to the first two pictures rather than my shot of the open flower.  Blue-purple?

johnw

johnw

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »
Here is L. macklinae in bloom here - the white one, but started off pink.

The pink  - 2 shots - has been a puzzle as I grew it as Nomocharis farreri ex SRGC93-2534. Sure look like macklinae to me aside from the one strange flower on the same stem as the blurry macklinae look-alike.

What do you think?

johnw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:57:48 PM by johnw »

arisaema

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »
Beautiful plants - and I agree with you on the second, must be another L. mackliniae.

johnw

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
Beautiful plants - and I agree with you on the second, must be another L. mackliniae.

Not a bad acquisition.

I wonder of it is possible to cross Nomocharis with Lilium?  Have some Nomocharis just coming out so will try. Are there any such hybrids?

Off to Newfoundland this afternoon and lunch at the Botanics tomorrow. More pix if I have time.

johnw - +8c today after 26c yesterday (the car said 30c), the ocean air blew in at suppertime and ended the heat rather abruptly.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:08:53 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal