We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia sicula seedlings  (Read 764 times)

Jack Meatcher

Sternbergia sicula seedlings
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
Last May (2016), I collected some S. sicula seeds from a plant in my garden and sowed them the next day. I expected germination/emergence some time in Spring/early Summer 2017.
About a week ago, I noticed leaves emerging. However, thay weren't the thin tubular things I get with Narcissus, Fritllaria and Tulipa germinations. They look like proper leaves. Is this normal or have things been going on in the compost but not visible above it? Are S. sicula seedling leaves normally that shape and is October a normal time for Sternbergias to germinate?
I've never grown Sterbergias from seed before.
Can any experienced "Sternbergers" throw any light of the above, please? Many thanks if you can help.

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

sokol

Re: Sternbergia sicula seedlings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
That is both quite normal. My seedlings appeared always in September/October and the leaves are broader than those of Fritillaria or Tulipa. You have to consider that the seeds are also bigger. Germation is usually at the same time, when the leaves of the adult plants emerge.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Jack Meatcher

Re: Sternbergia sicula seedlings
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:10 AM »
Dear Sokol,

Thanks for your quick reply. You have answered my question fully. Thank you.

Best wishes

Jack
The Learner

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal