We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: daffodil bulbs rot  (Read 1460 times)

Emilio Monedero

• Sempervivum: species and cultivars
daffodil bulbs rot
« on: November 13, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
Hello I need help  :'(

since last year I have problems with daffodil bulbs rot. I'm not sure, but I think it is Botrytis or Narcissus basal rot. I have no idea. The bulb rots from the apical or basal area (I am not sure). Sometimes, before the bulb is rot I see that the leaves begin yellow. And in summer, the bulbs stored in dry, rot too. Can anyone tell me the name of an effective product that I can find in Germany? Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:29:48 PM by Emilio Monedero »
Sempervivum: species and cultivars
http://sempervivum-jovibarbas.blogspot.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: daffodil bulbs rot
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
Have you opened a bulb to be sure  there is not a Narcissus Fly  larva inside?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 12:04:31 AM »
Have you opened a bulb to be sure  there is not a Narcissus Fly  larva inside?

Thanks Maggi, but it's not Narcissus Fly. I know this insect well  :-[

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »
Do you take them out of their pots to store? If you do, and I see no reason why you shouldn't let them go dormant in their pots and just store them in the pots until it is time to re-pot them, are you sure that they are fully dormant and there is no growth on leaves or roots that might attract fungal infections.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »
Do you take them out of their pots to store? If you do, and I see no reason why you shouldn't let them go dormant in their pots and just store them in the pots until it is time to re-pot them, are you sure that they are fully dormant and there is no growth on leaves or roots that might attract fungal infections.

Hi David,

thank you for your answer. I have bulbs in their pots until it is time to re-pot them and I have bulbs out of their pots. The problem is in both situations. Dormant bulbs happen in summer and bulbs now too, with fully developed roots and leaves.Suddenly they die... It is catastrophic  :'(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
Hi David,

thank you for your answer. I have bulbs in their pots until it is time to re-pot them and I have bulbs out of their pots. The problem is in both situations. Dormant bulbs happen in summer and bulbs now too, with fully developed roots and leaves.Suddenly they die... It is catastrophic  :'(

Emilio, I have never experienced this problem myself so it may be another Narcissus grower on The Forum can be more helpful. I have read somewhere, and it may well have been on The Forum, of a Narcissus disease where it was necessary to heat the bulbs (maybe it was to immerse them in hot water?). Maybe also it might be best for you to get rid of your stock and the pots they were grown in and start again with new.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Emilio Monedero

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 04:34:11 PM »
Emilio, I have never experienced this problem myself so it may be another Narcissus grower on The Forum can be more helpful. I have read somewhere, and it may well have been on The Forum, of a Narcissus disease where it was necessary to heat the bulbs (maybe it was to immerse them in hot water?). Maybe also it might be best for you to get rid of your stock and the pots they were grown in and start again with new.

OK, thanks David

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
 A search for "hot water treatment"   ( from the search button fourth from the left in the line a near the top of the page) gets quite a few results - some for treatment of seeds but quite a few for bulbs to help against various pests - see this for a start : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10133.0 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal