We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ID please  (Read 3029 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Snowdrop ID please
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »
I think the last one is Augustus.

I agree.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
Thanks Anne and Mark. Augustus it will be, I suppose the 'dimples' sold it (there you see, I'm learning). I have no idea how I came by it, could possibly be another I got from Snape Cottage.

Mark, could I ask you take a look at Reply 9 and 13 please, in 13 I posted the leaves for my 'Possibly Armine' the flowers being in 9.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:38:08 PM »
The leaves look right for Armine too. This is mine.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Armine flower.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:34:44 AM »
David, what you have could easily be seedlings or just snowdrops resembling named cultivars.  If you don't know that you ever bought 'Augustus' then I don't think it is right to assign that name to your snowdrop, although I agree there is a strong resemblance.  With snowdrops as with antiques, provenance should be all-important.     
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »
I went to Snape Cottage in 2010 (I can only remember that from the dates on my images taken at the time) and came back with a selection of Snowdrops the names of which have faded from my memory as they have from the labels placed by them at the time. Equally it could be that my friend, Mike Quest, gave them to me and, if I were a betting man, I doubt he would remember either. It's not that I intend to do anything else with them (not intending digging them up and knocking 'em out on fleabay!) so I shall label them as Anne suggests.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »
I never rely on labels as they are too easily lost by one means or another.  But in another 5 years you might want to pass-on what is by then labelled as, say, 'Armine' to a friend, forgetting the attribution is uncertain.  Your friend then passes it on to somebody else who sells some at their local AGS group and you end up with a 'false Armine' in circulation.   
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
Agreed Alan.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »
I never rely on labels as they are too easily lost by one means or another.  But in another 5 years you might want to pass-on what is by then labelled as, say, 'Armine' to a friend, forgetting the attribution is uncertain.  Your friend then passes it on to somebody else who sells some at their local AGS group and you end up with a 'false Armine' in circulation.   

At my age Alan you tend not to worry too much about what might or might not happen in five years time ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:15 AM »
So then, David, I would not bother worrying about the names of your snowdrops; just enjoy them for what they are.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal