We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newcastle - Ponteland SRGC/AGS Show 11th October 2014  (Read 7826 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Newcastle - Ponteland SRGC/AGS Show 11th October 2014
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
Lovely examples of Saxifraga fortunei from Chris Boulby and the Smethursts whilst mine in the garden sulk horribly. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know, David - but whatever it is, I'm doing it just a badly! Only got a couple of these  but the poor things are hanging on by a thread in comparison to those lovely show specimens.

There was a huge Saxifraga fortunei from Tom Green as well, I think - which got a Certificate of Merit.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »
captions??
pic 2:
I thought, the car will be safe – I’ve left the watch-dog in it!

edit by maggi to add the picture.....  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:43:36 AM by Maggi Young »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
I don't know, David - but whatever it is, I'm doing it just a badly! Only got a couple of these  but the poor things are hanging on by a thread in comparison to those lovely show specimens.

There was a huge Saxifraga fortunei from Tom Green as well, I think - which got a Certificate of Merit.
Hi David,  I keep mine in deep shade standing on concrete slabs, water less in summer, but more from late August when they start to put up their lush foliage.  They are never kept inside the greenhouse.  Here they are in all their glory today.  They will all be repotted whilst dormant.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Hi David,  I keep mine in deep shade standing on concrete slabs, water less in summer, but more from late August when they start to put up their lush foliage.  They are never kept inside the greenhouse.  Here they are in all their glory today.  They will all be repotted whilst dormant.

Thanks for that Chris. I've only got a couple, one is I think 'Rubrifolia' and the other is 'Conwy Star' that I bought from Aberconwy earlier this year. Both are in the garden and were in the shade of a Viburnam 'Tinus' but I've recently decimated this to just a couple of feet high because it was riddled with Viburnam beetle. Neither of mine have ever looked particularly happy though. Maybe I'll try them in pots, ot perhaps in a trough and see if they do better. Yours looked lovely.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
Sandy Leven's show report is here : http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/Ponteland2014.pdf 
The report has been online for a couple of days but I forgot to post the link here -  :-[ Sorry!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:33:19 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
This is the local newsletter from the  Ponteland area - PNV-  Pont News and Views - see page 3 for photos and a report from Alan Furness  on the recent Ponteland show :

http://www.ponteland-tc.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/PNV-Nov-14-issue-110.pdf

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Great coverage and lovely photo too!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal